Modicon IO

jim767

I have never worked with Modicon but have been asked to develop a list of Flex IO to run our components using a customers Modicon PLC. All I know so far is that it's a series 800. I need to have IO that does:

24 vdc discrete inputs
120 vac discrete inputs
0-10 vdc analog inputs
120 vac discrete outputs
24 vdc discrete outputs
+/- 10 vdc analog outputs

Do I need to know more than series 800? I looked up this on the web and come up with amanual on 984 series 800. Looks like modbus which I'm not familiar with. Just beginning on this and any clues or questions I should ask the customer about their PLC prior to specifying any IO module numbers would be appreciated.

Jim

800 series I/O is no longer in production.

As you may already know, Schneider Electric / Modicon has officially deemed the 800 line of I/O components and 984 processors to have reached the "End of Commercialization" I have attached the official announcement from Schneider Electric. 800 Series I/O and 984 processors will continue to be supported and hardware offered through the exchange program using refurbished hardware. There will be no new manufacturing of parts.

A migration program has been developed for users of the discontinued hardware to upgrade to Quantum processors and I/O at minimal effort. I have attached a brochure on the Modicon Advance Program which will allow you to change your I/O and Processors either independently or together to the latest Quantum Hardware without having to redo your field wiring. Schneider Electric is also capable of converting programs written in ModSoft, Proworx NXT and Proworx 32 to the latest Unity Software Package. A similar program is also now available for 200 and 500 series of I/O as well as most of the X84 series of processors

Brian.

Last edited:
Thanks
Can someone explain to the challenged here(me)why a new style IO module would have to have the main processor changed also. Aren't we talking about communicating a specific protocol modbus.

jim767 said:
Thanks
Can someone explain to the challenged here(me)why a new style IO module would have to have the main processor changed also. Aren't we talking about communicating a specific protocol modbus.

The 800 series I/O design is over 20 years old. It is possible the processor is also 20 years old and so is not capable of using "todays" I/O.

Replacement of Quantum processors is not required unless a new operating software is chosen (i.e. Unity instead of 984LL).

If the existing system is 800 series IO then I assuming its all running on a 984 CPU.

As 984/800 series is all obsolete to add on to this sytem wouldnt be practical. The IO subsystem on 984 CPUs is a propriatory bus technology and as such can only be used with 800 series IO.

One route is to change out the 984 CPU to a Quantum, retain the 800 series IO via an 890 adaptor module then add in new Quantum IO as needed.

We are doing exactly this right now so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Another route is to go serial and poll the new IO via Modbus/Modbus Plus from a 984 CPU serial port. The only problem with this is you would have to use a bucketload of MSTR or XMIT blocks. Bear in mind this would only a be a short-term solution tho.

Last edited:
At this point they have the 800 series which I was told has been there since the stoneage. We will be addding our equipment and specify the IO modules. They won't elect to upgrade the CPU. Do I have any other options like someone elses IO modules.

Thanks SLC, I'm still waiting for them to call. Could you tell me a link to get information/specs on the 800 series RIO modules in case they can work the system out with the ones they have. I don't seem to be having any luck finding the info on the remote modules.

As far as I know Modicon RIO is only a Quantum thing.

800 IO was obsolete about 8 or 9 years ago. Any new IO would have to be compatible with either Modbus Plus or Modbus RTU for the 984 CPU to be able to communicate to it.

Modicon do provide a module to allow a newer Quantum CPU to see old 800 series IO as RIO but unfortunately there is nothing for an old 984 CPU to be able to see new Quantum IO.