File extension P50

Leisac

I am totally lost when it comes to PLCs but I need to help a fellow employee. He has a disk which contains files with the extensions L50 and P50. The files with the .L50 extension can be read using Notepad in Windows, but the P50 files cannot. Does anyone know what I can use to open these files. We know they were PLC files. Thanks in advance.

Leisa Custer
Johnstown Corp

If you're sure they are PLC files, then they are most likely opened by the programming software for that particular type of PLC. Do you know the brand and model PLC that the files belong to? If not, is there anything in the file you can open with notepad that might point you in the direction of identifying the brand? Why not attach the .L50 file to a post. Maybe somebody might recognize something.

.P50 and .L50

These are file extensions that were associated with the Square D Class 8005 Model 50 PLC.

.P50 was the ladder (program) file, and .L50 was the documentation (labels) file. Holding register values were stored in a .R50 file

The software for this PLC was Square D's Sy/Mate #8010SFW50 it only ran under DOS and on slow (<25MHz) computers.

I have the software to read the files. Zip and post them or PM me and I will see if I can convert them to a text document that you can see in Wordpad or similar.

Sid

Have Square D Version 2.06

I have the software for Square D version 2.06. It is a DOS program but I can't open the files with the program. Jim, you are right, the make and model Square D Class 8005 Model 50 PLC. I can't find the software that you specified #8010SFW50.

Sid, that will be great. Everyone is gone for the night and I didn't make a personal copy of the files, so tomorrow I will post the zipped files, and if you could save them in a text format, it would be great.

Other questions to follow!
Thanks for the help.

Leisa Custer
Johnstown Corporation

The program you call Square D v2.06 is really #8010SFW473 Sy/Mate Software for use with the Model 300/400/500/600/700 processors. This software will not work with your model 50 PLC.

The actual model 50 program file names are SFW50.exe, the associated security file SFW.sec, and the auto load file Auto50.sqd.

Jim, I agree with you that the correct software is #8010SFW50.

Leisac, I'm still waiting for the zipped files. I'll be glad to help.

Sid

ZIPPED FILES ATTACHED

I AM ATTACHING THE P50 FILES IN ZIPPED FORMAT. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

LEISA CUSTER
JOHNSTOWN CORPORATION

Is this Square D software still available? I've just been told i've got to support 6 machines running this PLC...

The software for the Model 50 is very very old. It was intended to run on computers with a max speed of 10MHz. The PC-PLC communications time out is based on the speed of the communications port processor. There is a DOS program called SLOWDOS (or SLODOS) that was succesfull in fooling the software into working with computers as fast as 75MHz.

I keep an old 286 computer around for running all of these old programs.