Can't Re-install STEP7 v5.3?!!

donlavery

I've been using STEP7 v5.3 and decided to install v5.4 demo. Worked great for two weeks. Demo license expired, so tried to uninstall v5.4 from control panel. Wouldn't work. Contacted Siemens and they sent me to http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&lang=en&objid=189025&caller=view. I followed each step as indicated. I've tried several times to reinstall v5.3 but always get the message, "Version is installed on your computer. This setup cannot install version V5.3 + HF1 on top of it." I've contacted Siemens again but their only advice: "AS I wrote, in case our FAQ 189025 gives no solution you has the possibility going back to an old system restore before installation of STEP7 V5.4. And the last one is to format your boot partition and reinstall the operating system." Huh? A company like Siemens doesn't know how to cleanly uninstall their own products? Anyone else had this problem? Was it finally resolved? How?

Thanks,
Don Lavery

If its XP then did the install of 5.4 create a system restore point and if so have you tried going back to that and then installing 5.3?

Another thought did 5.4 demo install a licenese and has this been left behind? Perhaps its this thats interfering with the 5.3 install?

Last edited:
OS is XP, but the instructions given on the referenced web page remove all Siemens software - not just STEP7 v5.4. All Siemens folders are deleted from the registry and harddrive. Seems to me they should know what registry entries are created and should be deleted.

Thanks,
Don

There are a few references in the registry to your step 7 version V5.3+HF1. Try to delete only these refs. (Backup first)

donlavery said:
OS is XP, but the instructions given on the referenced web page remove all Siemens software - not just STEP7 v5.4. All Siemens folders are deleted from the registry and harddrive. Seems to me they should know what registry entries are created and should be deleted.

Thanks,
Don

Obviously they (Siemens) didn't remove all references as 5.3 wont install now.

Just check to see if an earlier system restore point is available before 5.4 trial was installed, also check license manager to see if there is some sort of 5.4 trial key !

504bloke said:
Obviously they (Siemens) didn't remove all references as 5.3 wont install now.

My point, exactly!

504bloke said:
Just check to see if an earlier system restore point is available before 5.4 trial was installed, also check license manager to see if there is some sort of 5.4 trial key !

There is no license manager. There is no v5.3. Everything has been deleted from the harddrive per the instructions on the referenced web page. An earlier restore point is not possible as the files referenced in the restore point no longer exist.

There must be other references in the registry somewhere, but following Siemens instructions do not remove these completely.

Thanks,
Don

s7xp.com said:
There are a few references in the registry to your step 7 version V5.3+HF1. Try to delete only these refs. (Backup first)

I have performed a <ctrl+f> search of the registry for all files s7*. None are found. I have performed a similar search using "siemens" as the criteria. Again, none found. What else would you recommend searching for?

Thanks,
Don

s7xp.com said:
Did you searched for this reference:
local machine\SOFTWARE\Siemens\AUTSW\STEP7
Remove all. And problably simular

It seems as if everyone is trying to be helpful without having read the referenced Siemens web page. The instructions there (in part):

Open the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software" directory. There you will find the subdirectory "SIEMENS". Select this subdirectory and delete it.

Open the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE" directory. There again you will find the a "SIEMENS" directory. Select this directory and delete it. Then all the SIEMENS entries are deleted in the Registry.

I appreciate the quick responses and the intended help, but please take the time to read the referenced Siemens web page and be familiar with their suggested procedure before essentially suggesting the same procedure.

Thanks,
Don

OK. have you done all the steps.

8 Delete the "simatic.cfg" file that is located in the Windows directory (e.g. "System (C. Note:
In the new operating systems you might find that this file no longer exists anyway.

9 Delete the C:\RASETU*.* files.

10 Via "Start > Search > All files and folders..." you search for the file "citamis.str" in the Windows directory (e.g. "System (C ) and delete that file.
Also 8,9 and 10. Did you delete all s7 files from your hdd. Also in common files dir etc.

May be hidden files. (Point 9).
Delete all your windows temp files (manually). Maybe some ini file.
Last remedy. Use "system internals" tools. Register and filemonitor tool. Check what the installation of step 7 v5.3 found.
It is some work, but less then reinstall everything (os).

s7xp.com said:
OK. have you done all the steps.

donlavery.com said:
(From my first post): I followed each step as indicated.

s7xp.com said:
May be hidden files. (Point 9).
<snip>
Maybe some ini file.

Ahhh. Here is where I thought I might find some previous experience. I've searched the entire harddrive for any file beginning with "s7*" but haven't found anything. If there is a file or files of another name, what might it be?

Thanks,
Don

donlavery said:
It seems as if everyone is trying to be helpful without having read the referenced Siemens web page. The instructions there (in part):

Open the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software" directory. There you will find the subdirectory "SIEMENS". Select this subdirectory and delete it.

Open the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE" directory. There again you will find the a "SIEMENS" directory. Select this directory and delete it. Then all the SIEMENS entries are deleted in the Registry.

I appreciate the quick responses and the intended help, but please take the time to read the referenced Siemens web page and be familiar with their suggested procedure before essentially suggesting the same procedure.

Thanks,
Don

I read the siemens web page and i still suggest a sytem restore if an earlier restore point exists.

Any reason why Automation License Manager isnt installed?

I just finished a successful re-install of STEP7 v5.3 and ALM v3.0! It has been a long time coming, but the sweet taste of success is unmatched. I'm not even sure at this point if I could trace the steps I took. I installed and started REGMON. Then I started D:\STEP7\Disk1\setup.exe. I had done this several times previously and always ended with the failure message, "Version is installed on your computer. This setup cannot install version V5.3 + HF1 on top of it." Don't understand why it ran successfully this time - related to REGMON runing or just a coincidence? Maybe counter activated - after so many tries it allows a reinstall? It wouldn't reinstall ALM 2.0 so had to break out the STEP7 v5.4 cd and reinstall ALM 3.0. Rebooted the laptop and everything is normal. All I need to do now is transfer the license back to the laptop. Thanks for everyone's help.

Regards,
Don