Magic Smoke...

JTE

Hi Guys,

I have (had) a D0-06DD1 , sinking outputs Automatinodirect PLC.

I slipped and shorted 24V to an output pin and saw the magic smoke float out of the unit. I killed power and re-started, all seemed well except (as expected) output pin is open. I moved the device to a new output and the unit ran fine for 24 hrs. Then it just died. (power light glows only, LCD display blank, no other life)

Questions,

Is it safe to say my slip caused the death, or does it sound like some other item on he machine caused it. I'm worried about killing the replacement.

Does anyone repair them? I know it's only a $200 unit, but figured I ask.

Jim

P.S.
Ok to laugh at me...

Seen this happen more then once. Did it myself while testing a program with jumpers (forgot that the inputs were on the bottom). Shortly thereafter I invested in a few simulator modules.

Usually you loose the output, (or bank of 4), but not the entire 06'. I wouldnt presume that AD would warrenty the item, so I would likely dissasemble the PLC and see if some debris left over from the misshap is causing a short on the board. You might get lucky.

I opened it, looked real close at everything and found nothing. Just the burned up transistor for output #17. I then broke out the iron and removed the fragment just in case. I am suprised the entire thing is dead, just not something I would expect, and the fact it ran just fine for 24 hrs after the fact... Oh well. I'll cal AD tomorrow and see what they say.