RS View And Panelview PLUS

aidamcg

Hi

I have spent the last 2 days trying to get a SLC 5/05 to work with a PV+ 1000. I have read the various posts relating to rsview and PV+ but I am still having trouble getting the 2 to communicate when I download the .mer file. The development PC,SLC and PV+ are all communicating ok in rslinx.
I have developed a simple project and it works fine when I test the application. The values are changing on screen when I change them in the PLC. The problems arise when I download the .mer file to the panelview. I keep getting for example 'the tag::[SLC]T4:1.ACC' not activated. I used SLC as the name of my shortcut in the communications setup. I have read the help and manual and have copied the local settings to the target settings but it still will not work. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong.
I am wondering if I am assigning the communications correctly to the object. I setup a numeric display by selecting tag from the connections page and scrolling through rslinx enterprise in the tag browser to the tag T4:1.ACC. Is this correct or is there something I am doing wrong here. Thanks for any help

Aidan

I am using version 4.0. This caused its own problems with the panelview as it was older so I had to update the firware on it to get the applications to open on the panelview.

i don't know if it matters but i always set my shortcut name the same as the name on the processor.

Like if the name of my processor is grinder, the name of my shortcut is grinder. Don't know if it matters or not as i am still new to this as well.

when you toggle between local and target, is it still on the correct processor?

I got it ot work. I checked the application settings of the file when it is in the panelview and there was nothing there. I then loaded the application and selected yes to replace the terminals current communication configuration with the applications communication configuration. This sorted out the comms problem.
I did notice after I got it working that when downloading that there is a check box that asks "when application runs replace communications" I am not sure but it sounds that if I had this checked it would have replaced the terminals communciation setup with the application. Maybe somebody who is more familiar with RSView could reply to this. Thanks for help

Aidan

not 100% but i believe if you download the program without either box checked, the original program stays in there and nothing changes. I rememeber adding a button to a program and then dloading it without that box checked and i was baffled at why it never showed up. Then i checked that box and bam, it ran the new program with the added button.

you can download it and not run it. (neither checked)

you can run the application and not replace comms (what i thiknk you did)(one checked)

you can run the app and replace comms. (both checked)

I believe this is due to the fact that the download path you select in the transfer utility is different than the PV+ to controller path, so you have to tell it to replace communications (use the RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts) when the download completes. That has been my understanding of it, anyway.

There are two comm setups you have to set; the local and the target. Local is what is used when running in station, target is what is downloaded to the PV+. Depending on the type of comm, the copy local to target usually will work to get the target comms working after testing in station.

I have the same problem with PV+ 400 I have set the target PLC to the Micrologix 1200 and assigned the shortcut to be the same as the PLC. If you test the project within RSview studio it connects to the PLC and it works. If you the download to the PV+ 400 it says that it cannot find the shortcut. I have ticked all the boxes for the comms but still nothing. If you go into the comms menu on the PV+ (rslinx enterprise) it show serial NONE. Should this be none untill there is comms with the PLC or should this show the PLC you are connecting to? If it should show the PLC is there any way of downloading the driver seperate to the mer file?

Thanks
Colin

The serial comms are a lttle tricky. The PV+ always uses COM1 and is expecting to see the controller at address 1. If your local is not using COM1 when running station on the workstation, the copy local to target has to be adjusted. Also, click on the auto config under properties of the seriall driver in both the local and target. This will make the download use the PV+ settings for download and the PV+ use the controllers settings for running.

Hi

Yes I have got it running but the display is very slow to update the data 2 to 3 seconds fom losing an input to the display changing. Is this normal or is there a way of speeding it up?

Colin

In RSView ME, the update time of each display is a Display Property, set during configuration on the same dialog as the background color, the focus highlight, and the On Top/Replace behavior. The default is 1 second, which can appear very slow.

If you have a lot of data configured in data logs it can also fill up the communication channel and delay display value updates.