What Can I Do With My MP270B???

R_Stone

I need to preface this by saying that I am a total newbie/virgin when it comes to networking PLC's. I really don't even know what I CAN do with my hardware, much less what I SHOULD do. So I am hoping to let you folks know what I have, and maybe we can spitball a few ideas and how to implement them.

I have several Siemens PLC's around the plant. During each installation I dropped a network connection from one of our routers into each panel. This makes it nice for configuring cards, talking to you guys, checking mail, reading docs etc. I feel like there should be something I can do with this setup. At the very least I would like to be able to monitor my PLC's. I am using MP270B HMI's and they have a ethernet port on the back. Is there something that can be done there? I also have a CP343-1 network adapters that I can add to my PLC's.

Like I said, I am totally ignorant here. I would appreciate some direction then maybe I can start acquiring some much needed education on networking.

Thanks,

Robert

I wrote this in your previous thread:
JesperMP said:
You should look into the sm@rtservice option. Your MP panel should be perfect for [web server functionality].
It makes the panel act as a webserver that you can access from LAN or WWW.
Notice that when you do use the webserver access, you actually take over the panel from the remote location. The web server does not work transparant.

I am not sure what you mean by this:
R Stone said:
At the very least I would like to be able to monitor my PLC's.
If you mean that you want to access the PLCs from STEP7, and PC (with STEP7) is on ethernet and the HMI panel is on ethernet and MPI or DP, and the PLC is MPI or DP only, then the answer is that I think is not possible. As far as I know, you cannot do routing via a HMI panel if you mean to use it to "hop" to a PLC. This needs further investigation though.