SLC5 to ControlLogix DH+ communications

wa5yom

I have a SLC504 to SLC504 application running.

SLC504 #1 has read and write MSG blocks that simply read and write data from "N" files resideing in SLC504 #2.

SLC504 #2 has no ladder logic it just holds the data for SLC504 #1.

I am replacing SLC504 #2 with a ControlLogix PLC.

I can see both devices over the Network. All DH+ addresses are correct and the ControlLogix DHRIO module is set to default settings, which is correct since there is no remote network and the processor is in slot 0.

When I execute the MSG Read I get the following error:

"Illegal address, address does not exist, or does not point to something usable by this computer"

The best I can tell is that the error is referring to the "N" file in the ControlLogix processor.

The file does exist and appears to be configured properly.

I have to be missing somethin easy here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

You can use messaging from SLC#1.

Be sure that you have the mapping table set up.
This can be found under Logic, Map PLC/SLC messages tree.

It is mapped accordingly..

File Number 200
Tag Name N200

Basicaly I am reading N200 from the CLX and placing it in the cooresponding N200 file in the SLC.

By doing so I have changed the error message to the following.

"Local processor detects illegal file type"

You say the processor is in slot 0, and the DH+ RIO card is on default settings, which I think is also slot 0, until you map it using LINX.
I went down this road last year.

I have the DHRIO card configured properly as slot 2...

Interesting....when I read the CLX manual it said that "N" files coorespond to DINT file in CLX....

I've never actually done any SLC to CLX communication, but have done quite a bit with PLC5 and CLX over DH+. In that situation, the CLX tags have to be type INT. I'm assuming (I know, not a good thing to do) that the SLC will behave the same.

That got it.....Thanks for all the help everyone.

Interesting hopw the manual says that the N file is a DINT file in CLX...but I still had to make a a INT file to work...

Tim

Which manual are you citing ? I'd like to see if it's incorrect or out of date.

I have always created ControlLogix INT[x] arrays and mapped them to SLC/PLC data files in order to allow PLC-5 and SLC-500 controllers to access data in the ControlLogix.