Looking for touch screen recomendations

wildswing

We recently installed an upgraded control system on our continuous mdf press that includes Wonderware Intouch TS and a couple of thin clients in our control room. I've been asked to look into adding a 3rd thin client on the shop floor near our press for operator convenience. The area is hot and equipment in the area accumulates wood dust in a very fine oil mist. Not much but enough to make the dust a little sticky.

I would need a rugged panel mount touch screen monitor (so I don't have to worry about a mouse) and a panel mount bubble-type keyboard (if such a thing exists). I envision these being mounted in/on an enclosure in the field with the thin client inside, requiring only power and an ethernet connection to the server's switch. Any suggestions or recomendations for the monitor, keyboard or enclosure (we normaly buy Rockwell/AB & Rittal but I'm open to any suggestions)?

Last edited:
monitor

I have used this monitor
http://www.slimagedirect.com/
It is superbly packaged for panel mount and it's very cost effective.
You can get them either touch screen or regular. Touch screens have
USB or serial interface.
It's a great product.

I have been using touch screens from Total Control Solutions.

http://www.totalcontrolsolutions.com/

They have been easy to work with and can supply you with just about anything you want at a reasonable cost.

There are many manufactures of sealed roll up keyboards, just google.

As far as enclosures, I would recommend continuous hinge, type 12 (dustproof) enclosures from either Hoffman, Rittal, Saginaw, or Hammond. Mount your thin client in the enclosure and the touchscreen in the door, be aware of the heat load of the equipment in the cabinet. It is always nice not to have to worry about ventilation but it might be a necessity.

edit: missed the panel mount part of the bubble keyboard, not sure what you are refering to there.

We use a touchscreen from 3M, excellent product.
It is capacitive so much more robust than a standard resistive screen. We also use the touchpen to operate the sceen, so reducing dirt and grease applied to the screen.
To avoid needing a keyboard you could use an on-screen keyboard, this comes standard in windows, check under accessories - accessibility

hope this helps
Geoff