Pool filter timer control

Joe Boxer

I am trying to create a PLC program to control my filter pumps on my pool. I will be using AD Directlogic 06. My question is it possible to set the program to use 24 hour timer, so my pumps will come on the same time and run for 3 hours?

Yes. The clock values will probably need set to be accurate. Goto Help then Index then the FIND tab, search for clock, this will provide the necessary V memory locations for the clock.

I also use a plc to control my pool filter, I have set mine so there are different start and stop times according to which month it is. This is something I would recommend as it has saved me lots of power($).

Joe Boxer,

The time will need to be set on the plc. I'm assuming you have a version of direct soft. Click on "PLC", setup, calendar. If the time on your PC is correct then you can click on "get pc time" then you will need to click on write "to plc". If the power might be off for more than a few hours you will need to get the battery backup, D2-BAT-1 DL06, D2-250(-1), D2-260, D3-350 CPUS & C-MORE TOUCH PANEL BATTERY
$12.00 http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_06/Spare_Parts_-a-_Specialty_Items/D2-BAT-1

Here is an example of some logic for your pump there is no timers as the internal clock is compared with some v mem values. I took the liberty of adding an "auto off manual" selector switch. The values in the Vmem are in BCD so a value of 10:00 oclock views as "a".
pooltimer.jpg

OK feeling dumb here. On the code where the greater than contact you are using V1300 and the V1301 your uing 7 and "a" comparing them to 4. When I try usig the greater than contact get a TA4 bit. I know that isnt right. Any suggestion or help?

Joe Boxer said:
When I try usig the greater than contact get a TA4 bit.

I'm sorry I left out the Vmem address. It's V7770. Which if you have set the time in the plc will be the hour 0-23

Here is a neat trick copy this code to notepad, save it, open a new project go to file, import, program, find the notepad file you saved, click on open. This will make a new project with the code

copy below this line
PLC 06

// Rung 1
// Address 0
STR X4
AND V7770 V1300
AND V1301 V7770
OR X5
OUT Y0

// Rung 2
// Address 7
END

// Rung 3
// Address 8
NOP

#BEGIN ELEMENT_DOC
"X4","","3 pos sel switch","selector switch ""pool filter auto"""
"X5","","3 pos sel switch","selector switch ""pool filter manual run"""
"Y0","","","pump motor"
"V1300","_v1300","","pump start time"
"V1301","_v1301","","pump stop time"
"V7770","_v7770","","hours on the plc clock"

#END
stop copying above this line

I'm currently running my pool pump of of a TECO smart relay LINK . I can change the time values using the built in LCD screen. I also added a cheap contactor, might be something you want to use as well.

Contactor LINK

ok learn something everyday
code worked great, looks great anxious to try it real time.

off to order the material enclosure, contactors, slector switces, and pilot lights.

only other thing curious about is someone metioned controling it by what month it is, how would one do that?

also is it possible to put in a control to let a person control what time the pumps come on and off?

again thank you all for all the help.

Joe Boxer said:
only other thing curious about is someone metioned controling it by what month it is, how would one do that?

V7766 Contains the number of seconds on the clock (00-59)

V7767 Contains the number of minutes on the clock (00-59)

V7770 Contains the number of hours on the clock (00-23)

V7771 Contains the day of the week (Mon., Tues., Wed., etc.)

V7772 Contains the day of the month (01, 02, etc.)

V7773 Contains the month (01-12)

V7774 Contains the year (00-99)

If you need some help with these, just let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Joe Boxer said:
also is it possible to put in a control to let a person control what time the pumps come on and off?
Yes! Cmore micro http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Operator_Interfaces/C-more_Micro-Graphic_Panels/C-more_Micro-Graphic_Panels/EA1-S3ML-N
or the 06 lcd panel http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_06/Spare_Parts_-a-_Specialty_Items/D0-06LCD
A lot of people don't like the lcd panel because the buttons don't access the plc, but you can still use a couple of inputs from the plc to make changes in Vmem and view them on the LCD.

To control by month, I use a table of 12 start times and 12 stop times and use the month to select the table value (not sure how to do it with AD, I used modicon).
Once the table is correct you will find you dont need to adjust times, mine has run for over 2 years and I have only opened the programmer up once to adjust the values. No real need for display