Siemens S7 Copy RAM to ROM

I normally use variable tables to generate parameters that I need to adjust and trim during commissioning. The final figure is then store in the retentive area of the CPU and is loaded each time the CPU is powered up. I am now being told that should the CPU have a major failure or someone performs a memory reset the initial data values will be loaded into the working area of the memory and over-write my commissioning values. I am being told that a Copy RAM to ROM will store the current working values into the initial values of the data block in the load area of the CPUs memory. Is this fact and has anyone else lost data due to not copying RAM to ROM?

Which CPU are you using and what type of memory card is fitted ?

Have you considered using your VAT table method to get things tuned and then hard code the values into the program in OB100/101 so the values will be set in memory each time the plc is restarted. The CPU/memory card can be replaced and your program will work as before when the program back-up is transferred to the new components.

Last edited:
Belt & braces solution

Like Simon, I've gone over to initialising important parameters in OB100, mainly because I can never remember when, or under which circumstances, the Initial values get loaded. However, if you want to be absolutely safe, it's relatively easy to redefine the initial values. All you need to do is to recreate the DB with the desired values.

To do this create a new DB, open the original DB and copy the contents to the new DB - do not save the new DB yet! Now modify the initial values in the new DB to the desired values and save the new DB. Delete the original DB and rename the new DB to the original DB number.

It's also possible to export the DB to Excel and modify the data there and then import the new version, but I find the above method quicker and easier.