Help With Wincc And Sql

ishmail

Hey everyone

I was wondering if there might be anyone of you that has experimented with using sql with WINCC, it doesnt matter which version of the two that were used.

I have a project that requires me to log data that comes from the a siemens plc on a database using microsoft sql 2000, i am not quite sure of the details as i have not really gotten the project yet, i would just like to get an idea as to what can or cant be achieved with the two.

what basically happens is that i must keep track of the whereabouts of say PARTA that was made and stored in storage room, if a customer wants PARTA its precise location in the storage room will be given to the robot,and it will go fetch it.

same story if the customer wants PARTB, there are many different PARTS and they can be stored anywhere, which is why the use of the database to quickly cut out the manual tusk of finding the PART and simply saying to the PLC i want PARTA, and it would use the SQL and the database would respond with PARTA's location, enabling the robot to find it.

I have a slight idea of what the project intails, and i will come with a better description as time goes.

any help no matter how small will greatly be appreciated.

CharlesM said:
What version of WinCC?

I am using WINCC 6.0, and although i am familiar with sql statements and working with databases as a whole, i am new to WINCC, i am well acustomed to RSVIEW AB, so any explanation you make should be as if you explaining to a toddler.

I looked at the other project, and as i have stated above, i could not even begin to understand where that comes from, or is, i understand what they were trying to do, but, i dont know what is going on.

I will have a look at the siemens web site, and ohh, if you could also just let me in on how to create a new project and link it to the plc program tags, i would be greatful, i looked at the manual but it does not clear say how to get the tags going, i can get as far as creating a new project and going on to the Graphic Designer.

Hello ishmail;

I am a little surprised that you have not begun by accessing the manuals and information provided with the software, at least the online help, which is good enough sor starters.

In any case, here is a link to the Getting Started manual from WinCC 6.2, a good place to start:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/17356933

And here is a short version of the procedures to create process tags in WinCC:

WinCC_GS_1.jpg

WinCC_GS_2.jpg

WinCC_GS_3.jpg

WinCC_GS_4.jpg

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

well i had exactly what you have shown me above, and well i figured it out, what i wanted was a way to communicate with the plc, and that was trouble some because i did not know how to establish a connection between the plc and wincc.

everything that you have demonstrated to me above is correct, what i didnt do was to specify the mpi address that i had used in my plc configuration, and the rack number and so forth, and now the communication is on, so now i can get ahold of the symbols.