Need help to idiot proof a Start button

osiberis

OK program starts a convoyer systems, Idiot boy hit start/stop at least twenty times in 30 seconds jams up motor....Is there a way i can have it record he hit the button more then say 15 times in under 30 seconds and then have it lock out?

Is it a hard wired start/stop or a programmed start/stop?

If it's something in the program, then you can easily make it do what ever you want it to do, like only be able to start it if it was off for 30 seconds.

But the real problem... why are they hitting the start/stop 20 times in 30 seconds? Does the machine have other problems and the operator is trying to get it moving? Or is the operator just screwing around and need to be trained better or fired?

Last edited:
1. Which PLC?

2. Seperate Start/Stop buttons?

3. Stop = control stop and not E-Stop

Short answer yes, but just what do you want to do, just count rate or lock the buttons out. When locked out, lock it stopped or started.

i think he needs to be fired but he jammed up the belt stopping and starting it so quickly...i'd like to have maybe a counter but counter resets after 1 minute and locks out if it count gets above 10 in under 1 minute. this sounds like it's work well in theory
---start----motor #1--
--motor 1---c:0
--motor 1 or timer t:0----timer t:0 *timer set for 1 minute*
c:0.acc = more then say 10---locks out
T:0/dn----- c:0 resest

that look right? sorry no screen shot just brain storming right now with hands full of grease.

Put a restart timer on the start button to prevent the machine being turned on more than x times per minute. Allow the machine to be turned off instantly though for safety's sake. Failing that, public brandings of repeat offenders works for me ;)

Not sure why this is a concern, everyone should see the results.

Humans pushing a button involves seconds normally so pushing 2 buttons 20-30 times a second almost defies the laws of physics.

A plc is fairly faster then humans so the result would be intermittent startup, the result should be easily seen, just fire them.

Stopping immediate is not really a requirement on conveyor systems, for example some systems I've worked on have a start up sequence and a stop sequence and each has to fully complete (not my design I might add).

Immediate stop is the function of the E-Stop.

You could put a delay in so that the start button is disabled for 5-10 seconds after the stopped is pressed.

Why did "idiot boy" feel the need to hit the start/stop buttons so rapidly? Did he think he was "riding the clutch" so to speak because the conveyor has a tendency to slip when starting with a full load. Maybe a better solution is to install a soft start or a drive to provide an acceleration ramp.

I wouldn't fire the guy. It is the programmer's job to anticipate what an operator is going to do, and program accordingly. It is very easy to program around this (I'd even let him think he is actually doing something when he is tapping the button), but as other have said, I'd first find out why he is doing it.

Operators are the best troubleshooting tools you have.

S7Guy said:
I wouldn't fire the guy. It is the programmer's job to anticipate what an operator is going to do, and program accordingly. It is very easy to program around this (I'd even let him think he is actually doing something when he is tapping the button), but as other have said, I'd first find out why he is doing it.

Operators are the best troubleshooting tools you have.

NO, an idiot is an idiot, there is NO reasone for someone to hit start/stop multiple times, the only reason is because he is XXXXX, fill in the X's/

Fire the guy and get rid of an idiot that will just mess with systems.

I know some of y'all have the ego thing going on BUT there is no way y'all can anticipate what anyone will do.

Basically I know so do not give me that BS.

I am kind of tired of that iteration...I am so good and do everything to make sure "BUBBA" has the information etc.

In real life that can not happen, if your good y'all know that.

It's not an ego thing at all. Look at the situation: We have a guy who is tapping the start button for some reason. Do you think he is doing it because he likes to push the button? No, he is doing it to make the machine do something. If I was the programmer, I would go talk with him and see what is going on, and most likely we would come up with a solution. It really is that simple.

I don't know what the bubba thing is all about. And, I really have been able to anticipate whatever the operators are going to do, because I communicate with them. If you want, I can provide references.

(Btw, as for your tagline, "Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand.", wouldn't you apply that towards operators too, or would you just fire them?)

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of a truly motivated idiot...

Idiot proofing is never entirely possible.

S7Guy said:
It's not an ego thing at all. Look at the situation: We have a guy who is tapping the start button for some reason. Do you think he is doing it because he likes to push the button? No, he is doing it to make the machine do something. If I was the programmer, I would go talk with him and see what is going on, and most likely we would come up with a solution. It really is that simple. {/quote]

NO he said hitting start AND stop.
OK program starts a convoyer systems, Idiot boy hit start/stop at least twenty times in 30 seconds jams up motor....Is there a way i can have it record he hit the button more then say 15 times in under 30 seconds and then have it lock out?
I don't know what the bubba thing is all about. And, I really have been able to anticipate whatever the operators are going to do, because I communicate with them. If you want, I can provide references.

Bubbas are guys like me.
(Btw, as for your tagline, "Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand.", wouldn't you apply that towards operators too, or would you just fire them?)

Always have.