DHRIO problems due to total lack of knowledge

ukguy777

Hello again forum.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem i have.
I am trying to create a RSView32 project, to sit on an exiting hardware setup. My problem lies in the comms protocol used. I have figured out (by myself!) how to ...forget it, i'll describe the system.

I have built a project which is for alarm monitoring on the existing networks. The existing network consists of SLC5/05s (ethernet) and a control logix5550 processor/backplane, which contains an ethernet card and 1756-DHRIO cards which in turn connect to the 3 existing DH+ networks. I want to be able to acess individual bits from any of the PLC5s or SLCs on the DH+ networks, via ethernet. WHen trying to assign/set up a node through the DHRIO cards, even if i select the PLC/SLC through browsing RSLinx, it will not let me (comes up with an error, cant remember what).

Is what i'm trying to do possible? (Go from ethernet through controllogix rack DHRIO to DH+ network)

Sorry, i know all of the above is a bit muddled, but i only started looking at it today, and am just after a quick fix answer till my boss lets me go on the control logix training course.

Also, is there a good tutorial on setting up tags in view, or addressing through control logix DHRIO cards??

Thanks for your time looking at my question, and feel free to ask me for specific information about the system.

All the best

Guy

wow!!!

Thanks for such a quick response. I want to avoid any programming of the controlLogix processor, so it looks like the answer i was after, will try it tomorrow when i get to work. I have a follow up question though...

If i were to connect a device net scanner to one of the PLCs on the DH+ network, would i be able to acess device net information through the ethernet network? I can see no reason why not, as the device net scanner simply messages to its host PLC processor (doesn't it?).

Once again, thankyou very much.

Guy

Both the 1771-SDN and 1747-SDN DeviceNet scanner modules have a "pass-through" driver that allows you access to DeviceNet from DH+ or Ethernet when you're connected to the PLC-5 or SLC that hosts the scanner card.

The firmware has not always included this feature; make sure you have version 4.01 or better of either product, and RSLinx 2.30 at a minimum. You'll also want to read up on the release notes for configuring the M0/M1 files in the 1747-SDN to work with the Passthrough driver.

You'll probably be disappointed with the speed of these drivers, though; the PLC-5 and SLC backplanes are meant for I/O, not messaging, and these drivers are an order of magnitude slower than the Logix backplane routing. If you need a lot of data collection, consider a Logix-type network bridge.

Thanks for that.

am unsure on what to do with the devicenet problem now as the SLC is already in place for the project. I will have to think about it and probabl try some stuff out, to see what results i get.

Thanks for the help, is appreciated knowing there is a knowledgebase that i can acess here, which seems to contain some seriously clued up people.

Once again thanks,

Guy