Design of a traffic light controller using plcs

sirnkqayi

Dear friends

Can anyone help me with a design of a traffic light controller using plcs for a heavy and light traffic as well as perdestrian signal light on a four way.

I am looking forward to getting your response

Thank you

Sirnkqayi

This is a very helpful forum. It is helpful in many ways. In this case, it can be helpful in a "self-help" sort of way.

Above these posts you will see a bar containing options. One of the options is "Search". Click the Search option in the bar and then enter "Traffic Light" in the key word area.

You will find many posts requesting information on this topic and many responses. You should be able to resolve your problem by reading some of these posted responses. Hopefully, you will learn a lot in the process.

If you don't find everything you need there, feel free to ask specific questions in here. There are a lot of really smart people that frequent this site that are always eager to help.

As mentioned, do a search, then using that info create a program. What you can do is print the program to a pdf (www.pdf995.com) then attach that to a post so anyone can look at it and may assist you with correcting the code IF it needs it.

some people do not wish to learn and with the ease of making a post on a forum like this with a vague question (he cannot even to be bothered to let us know what type of plc he is using)hopes that we will do his homework for him.

People like this should be thrown off their course and let students who want to learn take the place.

BTW if this post is not clear then NO I will not do your homework,but please let me know if you would like to come and work for me, obviously there will be no wages as like you im trying to get something for nothing.

sirnkqayi said:
My project is due on Monday 6th August 2007

How did I know it was homework......????

We'll help you with your homework. Show some of your own initiative. Start it yourself, post what you have, ask SPECIFIC questions for guidance. But we will NOT do your homework for you.

sirnkqayi said:
My project is due on Monday 6th August 2007

Well , he was honest .
The tutor wants stringing up for setting such rubbish - can't they come up with something that a PLC will actually be used for ?

davefinic said:
some people do not wish to learn and with the ease of making a post on a forum like this with a vague question (he cannot even to be bothered to let us know what type of plc he is using)hopes that we will do his homework for him.

People like this should be thrown off their course and let students who want to learn take the place.

BTW if this post is not clear then NO I will not do your homework,but please let me know if you would like to come and work for me, obviously there will be no wages as like you im trying to get something for nothing.

Dave , in all probablity the tutor hasn't read the course manual and doesn't know what a PLC is himself -

I dread to think what you would do to him if he ever copied some of your software.....

10BaseT. said:
Well , he was honest .
The tutor wants stringing up for setting such rubbish - can't they come up with something that a PLC will actually be used for ?

From my recent experience learning PLC where I DID do a 4 way traffic light (red yellow green) I think it is a good project for a student. It has real world application where they can
1. observe the process
2. understand and set up the cycle or sequence
3 write the program to meet the needs.
4. Not get overwhelmed by complexity.

Gotta do them baby steps before becoming a world class track star after all.

Dan Bentler

Agree with Leitmotif, can't ask the guy to do water purification plant or cement factory.Improving a traffic light system must be every bodies dream ... never had an argument with a red light before then your not driving.

sirnkqayi ... you had whole winter to do your project !! but yes the teachers did strike !
Gives us some problems you can't solve and we will guide you in the right direction ( call serendipity if you want)

Grretings

Eric

Sirnkqayi and JoeBoy. Both from South Africa. Both are trying to make us do their homework. I deduce they're both in the same school and maybe they're both friends too ;P

these guys are plain out lazy, and its a shame, cause even if we did your home work for you, you would learn absolutly nothing in the process, if i were you, i would rephrase my question because as intelligent as some the members of this board are, i doubt if any of them actually understands what you really on about, except that you have a traffic light proble you need to sort out.

has anyone just ever asked you to help them with "something", but just not specifying wat Something is?

if you want to get into this world, GET SOME PASSION, cause it makes me crazy thinkng that you think you would get away with thinking that you can wake up and know PLCs.

ishmail said:
these guys are plain out lazy, and its a shame, cause even if we did your home work for you, you would learn absolutly nothing in the process, if i were you, i would rephrase my question because as intelligent as some the members of this board are, i doubt if any of them actually understands what you really on about, except that you have a traffic light proble you need to sort out.

has anyone just ever asked you to help them with "something", but just not specifying wat Something is?

if you want to get into this world, GET SOME PASSION, cause it makes me crazy thinkng that you think you would get away with thinking that you can wake up and know PLCs.

I have no idea what you were rambling about. The OP was told where to go for references, i.e do a Search on this site.

It was explained how to display the work so everyone here could view it.

It was explained, somewhat harshly at times, but nevertheless explained that people here will help but will not do the homework.

That means anyone must make an effort. Use the references found on this site to create a program, then show that program so others may assist if there may be areas where there are issues or not understood.

It also helps if all the information pertaining to the situation i.e. what software will be used to do the plc programming.

Last edited:
leitmotif said:
From my recent experience learning PLC where I DID do a 4 way traffic light (red yellow green) I think it is a good project for a student. It has real world application where they can
1. observe the process
2. understand and set up the cycle or sequence
3 write the program to meet the needs.
4. Not get overwhelmed by complexity.

Gotta do them baby steps before becoming a world class track star after all.

Dan Bentler

We will have to disagree on this one ! however I'd challenge someone to write a decent functional design spec for the programmer to follow .

You can certainly observe the process - watch for the tangled metal . And I think it is a good deal more complicated to do properly than you give it credit for .