Deleting an Add-on Instruction RSLogix5000 V16.00.00

You have to make sure that the add on that you created is not being

used in any tags. If there are no tags looking for that instruction then you should be able to right click and delete. If it won't let you than a tag is calling the instruction still

No there is defintely no references or calls to anything relating to the Add on instruction in my code. Theres not even a delete option. I can export/import or copy/paste to another project but surely theres an easier way.

MorphuisOGrady said:
No there is defintely no references or calls to anything relating to the Add on instruction in my code. Theres not even a delete option. I can export/import or copy/paste to another project but surely theres an easier way.

Are you refering to the Add-On-Defined in the Data Types configuration tree?

I have noticed the same thing. Add On instructions can be deleted once all references are taken away , but the Add On data type remains

Ian

Hi Ian,

Like most people I'm pretty new to V16 and recently only started using the Add-On instruction. I find it to be really useful for my applications.

Its the actual Add On Instruction that I cant delete. I have removed all references to the instruction and all parameters and locals assciocated with the instruction set.

see this

How to delete an Add-On Instruction in RSLogix 5000 software.
trnsp.gif
Question How to delete an Add-On Instruction in RSLogix 5000 software?

trnsp.gif
Answer In order for RSLogix 5000 v16 software to allow deletion of an Add-On instruction (AOI), any and all usage of the instruction needs to be first removed / deleted.

1). First search all Routines to make sure the AOI isn't used.

(Make sure the Search options under "Find Within" has instructions checked)

2). Second search all Controller & Program Tag lists for AOI backing tags.

(Click the "Show" button and select "Add-On-Defined" to filter the results.)

Once this is done, right click on the Add-On instruction and the "Delete" option should be available (not grayed out).

If the AOI continues to be grayed out than there has to be another instance of the instruction used elsewhere in the project.

Guys thanks for your help on this one.

OK the backing tags do still exist because what I have done is created another Add on in same project that uses these backing tags. But I have removed them as parameters from the Add on I want to remove. So I cant see why it should still be a problem

Make sure you also delete the controller tag associated with your old block call... if you haven't already figured it out 5 years later!! haha

Well, it's 2014 and this thread helped me.

Basically, if the data type (AOI) is used anywhere or referenced in tag, whether it is used in a logic or not, the AOI cannot be deleted.

Last edited:
Finding where the AOI is still referenced

If the "Cross Reference" to the Add-On-Instruction shows no references, but you still cannot delete it, look under "Data Types", "Add-On_Defined". You should see the name of the AOI. Right click that and select "Cross Reference". This will show you where the data type of the AOI is being Aliased. Get rid of that tag and then you will be able to delete the AOI.

If the "Cross Reference" to the Add-On-Instruction shows no references, but you still cannot delete it, look under "Data Types", "Add-On_Defined". You should see the name of the AOI. Right click that and select "Cross Reference". This will show you where the data type of the AOI is being Aliased. Get rid of that tag and then you will be able to delete the AOI.

Welcome to the forum heresgeo, I see this was your first post.

Just a heads-up, it's always worth checking the date of the last post on a thread before committing to reply. Your post comes just 6 and a bit years after the previous post, and I think everyone now knows how to delete AOIs, considering how long they've been around.

Last edited:
Obviously, not "Everyone" knows how to delte them

I worked through an old program and successfully deleted a number of unused AOI's until I came across one that could not be deleted. I used a search engine to look into the topic and it hit on this post on your forum. The post did not directly indicate the method used to find the lingering reference, which I found was done by checking the cross-reference to the "Add On Defined" data type. Since I came looking in 2020 and found this post, obviously I didn't know how to get rid of it, but once I took this info and expanded upon it to get the specifics of the solution method I thought it was worthwhile to post, for the sake of the next "everybody" who does not know the answer.