Siemens Help

kbradray

I have been around Allen Bradley for the better part of my automation life. I started with the PLC 2s and SLC 100s up to Controllogix.

I now need to learn Siemens due to the fact that we are getting 2 new machines with Siemens controls (processors unknown but should be the latest). I have been digging around this site reading as much as possible, but still don’t know where to start. I don’t feel the programming will be too difficult to learn, but I don’t know where to start. Could anyone give some insight to the following:

What is the programming software called for the processors? (ex. RSLogix for AB)
What is the programming software called for the HMIs? (ex. Panelbuilder 32/Panelview for AB)
Also any programming examples would be appreciated.

I hope this is not too large of a request.

What is the programming software called for the processors? (ex. RSLogix for AB)

Should be Step 7 for S7-300 or S7-400 or Step 7 Microwin for S7-200

What is the programming software called for the HMIs? (ex. Panelbuilder 32/Panelview for AB)

WinCC is a SCADA type package high end. WinCC Flexible is used for panels and lower end systems. WinCC Flexible replaced ProTool (old but still used) and will replace WinCC in the future.

Also any programming examples would be appreciated.

You do a search here you should see a lot of examples. I know Siemens has some free web style training. I will do a search and see if I can find it. Their web site has lots of info but it can be hard to find what your looking for. We have a lot of good Siemens people on this web site.

Siemens general info from here
http://support.automation.siemens.com/US/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo2&siteid=cseus&lang=en&aktprim=99&startNode=4000024&nodeid0=4000024

http://www.automation.siemens.com/australia/html_76/products/ProductNews/WinCC_Flexible_2005.htm

Im still looking I know they have a "Getting Started with X" but I can't find it. When I do I will post it.

Last edited:
kbradray said:
I have been around Allen Bradley for the better part of my automation life.
Some members of the forum have been around Allen Bradley for the worst part of their automation lives... :nodi: (Friday = Fun Day)

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already been digging around the Siemens site as well as this site. I am starting a new relationship with a new controller.

I have a love hate relationship with AB due to the fact I have been around them so long. I hope I will start a new relationship with Siemens.

Lets hope AB is not the jealous type.

kbradray said:
I hope I will start a new relationship with Siemens.

You will, it will probably be a hate-love relationship, more biased towards hate until you get your head around the siemens way of thinking :)

Sample Siemens downloads on mrplc.com here