Stl , Csf , Sql

magdyfayad

are there any differences between these programming languages from siemns and these languages :

1- CSF & FBD ??
2- STL & IL ??
3- SQL & ST ??
4- LAD & LD ??

are there differences or not for the above three cases ??

if there are differnces , what are they ??

if there are not differnces , why siemns renamed these languages by a different standard names ??

thanks

Last edited:
magdyfayad said:
are there any differences between these programming languages from siemns and these languages :

1- CSF & FBD ??
2- STL & IL ??
3- SQL & ST ??
4- LAD & LD ??

are there differences or not for the above three cases ??

Yes, there are. In the fourth one there are also. BTW, SQL ? What's that ?

magdyfayad said:

Long story. One could write a book based on it.

magdyfayad said:
why siemns renamed these languages by a different standard names ??

Siemens has been useing these names since... Well, oldest people in IEC do not remember that time. :)

i do not need a book !!

as i have already asked here before about the differnces between SFC & CFC and differnces between graph 5 & graph 7 , and i had many answers for my questions as links and manuals describe the difernces

so , i need only the main differnces between them or a link or manual , if there are any differences ,

thanks

Last edited:
Please give an example of what you would consider a "main difference" to be. I could ask 'what's the main differences between an apple and an orange" Without knowing why the question is being asked, it is very difficult to come up with sensible replies.

i asked as i show a manual of step 5 from siemens , and i show the presention of CSF is similiar to FBD and i do not notice any differences between them , so i asked is there any differnces between CSF & FBD or not ? if there are , what are they ??

if there are not any differences why siemns renamed these languages by a different standard names ??

and the same for STL & IL ??

and etc ...

and i show the presention of CSF is similiar to FBD and i do not notice any differences between them , so i asked is there any differnces between CSF & FBD or not ?

I've never heard of CSF, but the description sounds like it might be what I know as CFC. Is this a difference between English and German names?

no, CSF is a language very simliar to FBD , and CFC is another language

CSF : CONTROL SYSTEM FLOWCHART
CFC : CONTIOUS FUNCTION CHART

I still need to know :

1- CSF & FBD ??
2- STL & IL ??
3- SQL & ST ??
4- LAD & LD ??

also what are differnces between :
5- BTW, SQL ?? as i did not hear before about BTW !!!

are there differences or not for the above five cases ??

if there are not differnces , why siemns renamed these languages by a different standard names ??

i asked here for the differnces between SFC & CFC and differnces between graph 5 & graph 7 , and i had many answers for my questions as links and manuals describe the difernces

can any one state the diffences between the five cases or give me a link for a manual describe the differnces between them !!

thanks

Last edited:
RMA said:
I've never heard of CSF, but the description sounds like it might be what I know as CFC. Is this a difference between English and German names?

CSF was the Step 5 name for AND / OR graphical type programming as preferred by many German, Italian programmers (from my experience).

I believe in Step 7, this changed to FBD in line with accepted convention.

SQL ???? There is NO Siemens programming method called SQL, so I have no idea where you had this.

The onlt SQL I know is the database language, nothing to do with Siemens.

BTW = Short for 'By The Way'... Text talk.

SCL is the Siemens name for ST, so its SCL not SQL.

LAD is Siemens Ladder, same as LD maybe Ladder for another make.

STL = Statement List, a machine code type programming, very few other PLC's have anything like this.

SCL Manual http://support.automation.siemens.c...&extranet=standard&objid=10805390&treeLang=en

STL Manual
http://support.automation.siemens.c...&extranet=standard&objid=10805384&treeLang=en

LAD Manual
http://support.automation.siemens.c...&extranet=standard&objid=10805384&treeLang=en

FBD Manual

I know that for S7 SCL there are some differences to IEC ST.
Some instructions are not supported in S7 SCL, for example pointer instructions that you do have in IEC ST.
And some data types are not supported in S7 SCL, for example unsigned integers (UINT).

magdyfayad said:

If you have a problem with why Siemens uses the names they use, perhaps you ought to contact them??

There are a lot of differences between brands, regardless of how much we'd like them to be the same. Even though there's a "standard" (IEC 61131), it only defines the different types of programming and that they be supported, NOT that they are cross-compatible and NOT what they will be called.

You'll find Siemens naming is historical to the Siemens brand, these are brands after all.

Certain cars by different manufacturers look similar, why don't they call them the same?

(Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager for example).

PeterW said:
You'll find Siemens naming is historical to the Siemens brand, these are brands after all.

Certain cars by different manufacturers look similar, why don't they call them the same?

(Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager for example).
PeterW,
Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, Volkswagen Sharane...
Take the badges off, and these really are the same car!