HID Badge Reader to Micrologix 1200

mp2admin

Hi,
I am new here and have a question i am unable to find a solution for. Is it possible to connect an HID badge reader to a Micorlogix 1200 to be able to capture employee data? I have found a product that seems feasible but I do not know if it would work or how it would work. Or could someone lead me in the dirrection I should be going.

Here is the unit I have found..

http://rfideas.com/Products/Wedge/pcprox-rs232c.html

Thanks

the ML1200 or any of the Rocwell/AB products will work.
As long as you have an open serial port available, and the ML1200 does, an optional unit has 2 ports, just for this situation. One for programming and one for communicating..
You would have to write logic to accept the strings and do what you want with them, ie turn on solenoids...etc based on user=string received.
Limitless.
You mentioned LOGGING though.....
What is your specific functionality supposed to be?

I have one port on the ML1200 it is running through a net-eni module. Once i can get the data into the PLC i want to use (log) the employees badge number so i know who is currently working on a machine.
With only one port available, can you suggest any other options other than replacing the ML1200?

Thanks for the info.

The Net-ENI module converts Serial (native from the ML) to Ethernet.
Is your ML1200 on Ethernet for any particular reason?
You can still accomplish your task with the product that you are looking at, you just need to use the Ethernet model.
You will also need a network Switch....

Maybe not.....
It mentions that you use a virual com port....
The serial version would have worked flawlessly.
Get a rep to come to you and discuss the Ethernet model and test it before you commit...