FIP to control logix

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, Has anyone any ideas how to get FIP IO (field interbus protocol) (remote blocks made by telemecanique) into a control logix system.
Regards Aaln Case

Is FIP the same as Interbus-S ? If so, then SST's Interbus-S scanner should do the job. If not.... er, um... those I/O modules might not be so useful in your project.

SST and Prosoft are the two biggest suppliers of 3rd party comms module for A-B controllers. If they don't have what you need, then pickings are going to be slim.

Answered my own question. It doesn't look like anyone but Telemecanique has jumped on their bandwagon for the "FIPIO" variation on their X-backplane protocol.

Thanks Ken. That was fast. The project is alrady running with a approx 15 year old telemecanique processor. All the IO is remote on a FIP network. I was hoping to leave the IO and upgrade the processor to a control logix as this is a stop gap measure for 12 months. The whole lot then gets bulldozed and a new CL5000 system will go in. Regards Alan

I'm teaching class tomorrow morning (the first PanelView Plus class in the world !) so I'm up prepping PC's and my boss is making the last run to the 24-hour copy place. Next stop: the 24-hour donut place.

I guess I mis-read Tele's brief on the FIPIO network; I thought it was new rather than 15 years old.

I've successfully done some "partial assimilation" projects by putting Profibus DP adapters into things like TI505 chassis and running them with Logix scanners, but for your system I don't think that's possible.