PLC and newer laptop

doyletuttle

What can be done about a newer laptop that doesn't have a serial port to communicate with a plc? I have seen the USB to Serial adaptors, Would this work? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hallo,

I am lucky that I have a brand new DELL Latitude 820 with seriell port. But before that I used a Notebook without seriell port and with that I use a usb adapter. It worked with all Allen Bradley PLC´s. But I have no expierence with other PLC´s.

I've heard some USB-Serial adapters can be problematic while others work fine. Kind of hit and miss depending on the adapter and device you wish to communicate with. If you want a solution that works everytime, get a PCMCIA serial card.

Indeed, there is still only one type of laptop from dell with a serial port. But for how long. A lot of people out there needs to service old PLC systems, problably with an DOS application, like I do.

If you use MS-DOS it would be better use an old Laptop.

Maybe a T3200 or a T5200 from Toshiba. They are 15 Years old, but they are still working. The Qualitity of the real Laptops where much better than the "Office ****" today. I still have on running for S5.

Indeed, I have an toshiba T4xxx for the real old stuff. But with dual boot to MS-Dos it is still easier. But my laptop has still a serial port.

I have vmware loaded on my Dell, running win95 98 and DOS6.2, I am going to try and configure the USB... then run it

I have a serial on this laptop but I also am curious to see if you can us the USB, with vmware and/or Dos.

I have seen USB to serial adapters from MOXA. They are reliable and for industrial applications.Even you can have 4 serial ports from a single USB port.