Connecting to a AB 1500 for first time

Bytesize

Hello everyone…I need a little help connecting to a AB 1500 for the first time. Im a little new to PLCs and have been learning as I go. Its not a problem connecting when there is code already stored but trying to get the my PC to see the processor is making me pull my hair out. Here is what I have RSlinx, RSlogix 500 and I am using the 1747-UIC. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could take me through the steps to download code into a fresh PLC.

See link below:

http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=65&c=11

If this is a fresh ML1500 out of the box then by default the port ( ports) are set to DF1 protocol. Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter, it will not connect to a new ML1500. Only after the posrt(ports) are re-configured to DH485 can you use the 1747-UIC.
You will need a null modem cable, AB 1761-CBL-PM02 or if ML1500 has a 9 pin port a 9-9 pin null modem cable will work( can get one at Radio Shack if need be)
Follow the link above to connect to your ML1500.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I've done all the steps to try to talk to the PLC but for some reason RSlinx is not seeing the PLC. I have the correct com port set and have tried to do auto config which tells me that my switch may not be set properly...I have tried both switch settings and am still unsuccessful. One more thing is, I can go online with an existing PLC which has code in it already with no problems because it matches the code I have on my thumb drive. How does the PLC except its code for the first time? Thanks again.

What switch are you talking about? If its the switch on the 1747-UIC, it will not talk to a new ML1500(as stated above). Do you have a real serial port?
What cable are you using? What driver are you using? Did you follow the
link I gave you?

As Mickey mentioned with the new 1500 you will need to use a serial port and a null modem cable http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/5582/0735614954-03.gif
and use a DF1 driver in RSLinx.

To use the UIC you would have to configure one of the ports for DH485 AFTER going online using DF1 and the serial cable through a serial port.

The good part is that if you do not have a serial port there are USB or PCMCIA to serial adapters that will work for DF1. http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

Mickey said:
What switch are you talking about? If its the switch on the 1747-UIC, it will not talk to a new ML1500(as stated above). Do you have a real serial port?
What cable are you using? What driver are you using? Did you follow the
link I gave you?

Sorry I miss read what you have wrote. So the serial cable connects directly from the serial port of the CPU using the 1761 without using the UIC...and that should solve my problems?

Oh and hows the weather down their in Palmdale? I use to live in Ridgecrest:)

To ansewer your question,yes.
In a word, nice!

nice.jpg

Yes it connects directly.
If its a regular db9 9 pin port you can use any common null modem cable.
If it has the little round port youll need the AB cable.
Connect one end of the cable to the PLC, the other to the serial port on your laptop.
Run autoconfigure on a DF1 driver in Linx to make sure it sees the PLC.

The DH485 driver will be of NO USE until, as explained, the port has been reconfigured from within the PLC. So put away the UIC and the 485 driver for now!