rslinx

cordovaalex

i have micrologix 1500 and rslogix 500 and rslinx ver 1.7, and rs232 cable, well no matter what driver i pic i get(no response from plc processor at selected node/path) i tried everthing that they say in here and i need some help i need to find out if iam even have the right connections first from my laptop to plc i have 1746-lsp unit plz help me step by step from connections to config, may my version in rs logix 5. is to new for rslinx 1.7, but i here it wont matter

Last edited:
Which are you trying to use? RSLogix 500 or RSLogix 5? For the Micrologix 1500, you'll need RSLogix 500.

And I'm not sure that your Linx 1.7 will work with the 1500. (Can somebody confirm?? If not, I'll check from work...) The current version of Linx is 2.51.

Hello-

We had similar issues with a few Micrologix 1000's.

First you need the AB cable--it's a DB9 to a mini-din, don't have the p/n handy.

Second, you need to make sure you're not running any other apps in the background on your PC that may be setup to use the same COM port--this is typically the biggest problem I've had in our shop running a laptop with about six other comms-related programs loaded on it.

Third, you need to use the "DF1" driver in RSLinx. I usually use the "auto-config" feature of the DF1 driver and it will begin looking for devices connected to the COM port at various baud/parity settings.

If none of this works, it's possible your laptop may have some issues. I have an older Toshiba Tecra that gave me fits for months until I discovered it had a bad COM1 port.

Good luck.

ya i think, i connected a power charger to my computer and on the charger it self has a serial since my lap top dose not have one , i think that might me the problem, when ever you connect any thing to a lap top with window xp , it should say hardware connected and make a noise, but when i connect the plc to my charger, it dose not even do any thing

What do you mean the charger has the serial?? If that's the case, then it won't work... RSLinx wants a "real" serial port, not a virtual one.

so how do i connect my plc to lap top then? and also has usb ports the work fine, i just found out that when my chager is connected to my lap top and the chager has a serial port becuase my lap top dose not , they me be over laping each other, so they say i could try buying usb to serial adapter since my lap top has usb connectons, is this true

Last edited:
Some USB>Serial converters work, some don't... I don't have any experience with any of them, but it has been discussed here before. You should be able to search for it.

I have no idea what is being said here.

The Micrologix 1500 may have 2 ports, by default both will be RS232 DF1. If just one port it should be RS232/DF1. If your laptop does not have serial then you can use a USB to serial adapter http://www.bb-elec.com/productsubcat.asp?MainCategoryId=45&Trail=16&TrailType=Top

The serial cable needs to be a null modem cable:
2-3
3-2
5-5
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/nulmodem.htm

ML 1500 User manual: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1764-um001_-en-p.pdf

OZEE, the USB to serial adapters (should) work with RS232/DF1 but will not work with a 1747-PIC for DH485.

rsdoran said:
... but will not work with a 1747-PIC for DH485.

I think you would need a 1747-UIC for this.

-----------------

cordovaalex, did you send a email to a member of ebay today? if it was you.. and you would like to finish the conversation then send me a PM, eBay would not let me respond to your question (I have no idea why...

geniusintraining said:
I think you would need a 1747-UIC for this.

-----------------
QUOTE]

That confused me, the ML 1500 should not need the UIC BUT the UIC is a direct replacement for the PIC.

OZEE said:
Some USB>Serial converters work, some don't... I don't have any experience with any of them, but it has been discussed here before. You should be able to search for it.

This works. Used in past no problems

curlyandshemp said:
This works. Used in past no problems

Hello curlyandshemp,

Have you used that exact one?? I have been looking for one that I can sell that has a good reputation and for a reasonable price, what other application have you used it on? that one looks good...

Thanks
Mark

the UIC is a direct replacement for the PIC

Actually the UIC is more of a kludge. DH485 requires precise protocol-to-UART chip timing that can't be achieved when using a USB serial adapter. So the use of the UIC requires using DF1 (which isn't so picky) from the PC to the UIC. The computer in the UIC (it isn't just a USB to serial adapter) does a protocol change to DH485. This protocol is then provided in two electrical formats, RS485 and RS232.