FactoryTalk Questions

bone

Maybe the experts can give me some insight.......

My situation is this:

I have successfully programmed RSView Studio 4.00.00 (CPR7) alongside RSLogix 5000 (Using 15.02 now.........) for quite some time, and have become pretty proficient in doing so. I understand the programming techniques fairly well, and have had minimal problems in the projects to date (AKA None that couldn't be solved in a timely manner). We have a large project coming up that has a 5 week deadline from start to finished product, and the powers-that-be have asked for a new, 'cutting edge' version of front-end control. We will be using SoftLogix 5800 (Which I have also had great success with in the past, albeit limited usage), and wish to utilize multiple monitors for the HMI. The goal is to have the primary monitor used as a 'cue sheet' (I work in the entertainment industry) for motion moves, and the secondary monitor to be used as the 'sub-menu screen' (System parameters, real-time (jog) movement, troubleshooting, etc.)

With very little time to implement this concept, I think that FactoryTalk Site Edition Station is what I'm looking for.

Now for the questions:

1. Is this the right software package? I plan on using this on 1 machine only, with 2 video cards. I'm hoping that I can designate which screen appears on a selected monitor. Am I on the right track?

2. What is the learning curve for the FactoryTalk platform? Will I be totally lost, or will I be able to pick things up from my prior experience with RSView Studio? I'm not the kind of guy whose VCR (Remember those??) flashes '12:00', so I sort of understand that I need to read/research the technology, and will not ask for help until I've tried to understand all of the concepts (so I can converse intelligebly with the tech support person).

3. I've read up on the security issues concerning installation and run-time. Will this be a problem with the end user, who I have to assume has no computer literacy whatsoever? We would incorporate the program(s) into the startup folder on the machine, to prevent accidental (and intentional) OS issues. Also, we would be doing this system 'twice', providing a total copy of the industrial computer with all pertinant software and hardware installed.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Maybe there are those of you that have had to take this 'leap of faith' and have already been through this. Please don't hesitate to add any feedback to my questions, or add to them, in case I haven't addressed them.

Thanks,

Bone

...... Question 4:

Can I write screens in RSView Studio 4.00.00 and migrate them to the new platform? THis would allow me to get a jumpstart on programming over the weekend

Bone

Questions 2 and 4 seem easy to answer.
Factory Talk is simply a brand name change. The old name was RS View SE (Supervisory Edition) in release through CPR 7+. The new name is Factory Talk View SE (Site Edition) with CPR 9. CPR 9 is planned for release Q4 2007.

With the screens, I am not aware of having to convert them from the old version to new version.

With your tight project schedule you will want to be sure you have CPR 9 in hand. I have not been able to get a copy nor has my local Rockwell sales office that is supporting our project. We expect it any day now.