FactoryTalk SE - Tag parameter Questions

NikkoSuave

Hello everybody.

I have a question on using tag parameters that are sent to a display. Factory talk's documentation is awful and it seems like this is something they should explain, but they do not(I already RTFM).

I am building a tag in an expression editor that will be seen in a numeric display. My parameter being sent to the screen is #2. For the sake of the question, lets say it has 02 as its value. But it could be 01 through 05.

The tag that needs to be built looks like [L02]SCADA.HeartBeat

So I build it like [L#2]SCADA.HeartBeat, but factorytalk reads that as literally [L#2]SCAA.Heartbeat instead of replaing #2 with 02.

I have found it only replaces it if there are non numeric and no letters around the parameter(_, [, }, etc)

Is there a delimiter that will not be read by factorytalk, but shows that the item enclosed is a tag parameter?

The only delimiter you need is #
Whatever numbers follow that will be the parameter.

I use that all the time and it works for me.
Are you using parameter files?

If the PLC and tag path are not correct, then yes you will get an error message with the [L#2]SCADA.HeartBeat instead of the [L02].

Try browsing for the complete tag path first, test that. Once that works then replace a portion of the tag address with #2.
You can use Test Display within FTView Studio to make those tests go faster (instead of running the entire project).

I am positive it is the correct tag address. I have ran into this multiple times.

Say the tag is _#2_ScadaHeartbeat, #2 will be replaced with the parameter being passed to the screen. because there are "_" in front and behind the #2.

But if it is L#2_ScadaHeartbeat, it will not because there is an L before.

I have tested the display multiple times, seen it in the diagnostic list that its doing this. Do you use Factory Talk SE or ME? I wouldn't think that would matter but just curious.

Is it possible that it's reading the parameter as an integer, not a string?

So, you're typing in "02", which, if read as an integer, would be simplified to just "2".

I am positive it is the correct tag address. I have ran into this multiple times.

Say the tag is _#2_ScadaHeartbeat, #2 will be replaced with the parameter being passed to the screen. because there are "_" in front and behind the #2.

But if it is L#2_ScadaHeartbeat, it will not because there is an L before.

I have tested the display multiple times, seen it in the diagnostic list that its doing this. Do you use Factory Talk SE or ME? I wouldn't think that would matter but just curious.

What version of SE are you using? all the patches?
Are you using SE distributed; multiple areas?
Parameter list from a button? or parameter files?

I'm at a loss on ideas here. Parameters have always worked for me in either SE or ME.

The tag that needs to be built looks like [L02]SCADA.HeartBeat
I tried that structure and it's working for me. I created a main display and two buttons invoking another display:

Code:
First button's action -> Display my_screen /T01
Second button's action -> Display my_screen /T02
Then I created a text object in my_screen (see the attached image).

There're some things I don't understand: How are you using the tag? How are you invoking the display? Maybe some captures could be helpful.

parameters.PNG