Bottle Marking?

Greg Dake

Greetings everyone,

This is a little OT, but I have an interesting application. I have a new bottling line where I need to put a registration mark on every bottle. Here is the given:

-HDPE bottles, 8oz/11oz/14oz sizes.
-The bottles are almost cylindrical, but have 4 flat sides. (In other words they are square with very round corners)
-I need to put a "+" symbol which is about 1"x1" in size on the center of two oposing flats on the side of the bottle.
-I will have the bottles oriented properly.
-The bottles are white and the mark needs to be very contrasting, such as black.

I'm planning on using a Video Jet ink coder to do this and I will have vision verification to verify that the mark is centered left to right on the flat.

My biggest challenge is, how do I assure the registration mark is very centered left to right?

Is an ink coder NOT the correct device to do this? I am open to anything except for laser etching.

I am doing this so the labeler downstream can orientate the bottle properly so that the label goes on properly. The labeler will pick up on the registration mark (with it's vision system) I put on and if it's centered on the flat, the label will be oriented properly on the flat. (The lablels are sleeves)

The labeling company will take care of everything, all I have to do is give a registration mark on the center (left to right) on the bottle. (on two opposing sides.)

Again, is there something better to do this with other than an ink jet device such as Video Jet?

TIA,

Greg

It's not allowed

This is aseptic packaging, taking away part of one of the bottle layers is strongly NOT preferred.

I do agree though, lasers are much better...(no ink abortion on the floor)

Greg

Video jets are desined for speed but not my chose on printers. I find then to messey for starting and stopping applications. We use to use Markem (think that is spelled right) printers and I would contact them. They would be more than happy to help you.

Videojets can be messy (i try to ensure ours are kept totally clean and serviced to ensure good operation) and I mark an etch centred consistently on a moving part but as the saying goes though "other inkjet manufacturers are available."
If the bottles can be stationary whne marked though pad printing may be an option and as stated markem are good in this field though tampoprint also have some good fast printers out there.

Try here http://www.imaje.com/portal/com/EN-US/index.cfm

I hate Videojets we have 8ish, we have had one of these installed for over 4 months, had one issue when we changed style of inks, other then that it has not missed a beat.

We are planing to replace ours world wide, they are very good and keep running, I have not had enough time to tear it apart and see why it works...but I will someday :)

printing on bottles

Greg hi -a couple of thoughts on the subject :
1.It doesn't matter if you use Videojet,Domino,Imaje or any similar type of printer .We have tried them all (also in aseptic packaging) and they are all a headache.
2.The things I would concentrate on:
good mechanical handling of the bottle so its placement is repeatable.
connecting an encoder from the printer to the printer conveyor in order to synchronise the printing.
finding the right type of sensor that will give the trigger to the printer at the right time.

3.We are about to test a new printer -Wolke .It uses HP printheads, anyone used them?

Steve

Thanks so far...

I agree with the general concensus about Video Jets and their proverbial ink abortion on the floor being a pain.

I will definately have to focus on triggering...

Stevez: What sort of aseptic packaging? Where do you work? Yes, I'm assuming some sort of bottle to conveyor tracking will be required. I'm starting simple though and see how well I can do with a simple trigger.

GIT: That company has some interesting products, I will have to look at them closer.

Greg