Mitshubishi A Series and FX series serial communication

gherz817

Hi everybody!

I need help on this.Is there a RS232 to RS485 coverter in the market which can convert Mitsubishi's RS232 serial to RS485? If yes, what specific brand it is? I been browsing the internet but
still I can't found it..

Thanks in advance,

gherz817

gherz817,

Good evening... as far as i know, A & Fx series comms are RS422, thats is why we still need an rs 232 to rs422 converter(SC09 cable) before we can connect to this plc. What are you trying to do by the way? Want to get on line with PC, interface with HMI or other plc that has rs485?

Regards,

Edwin

I'm Soory I was wrong on that, I'm not much familiar with Mitshubishi. Yes, I'm going to Hook it to SCADA. What I'm really need is a rs42 to rs485 converter, Am I right? What specific converter could you suggest that really gives high efficiency?

To connect the PLC to a PC, just use the SC09 cable from Mitsubishi. That has the RS422 to RS232 converter built in. If you need to go longer distances, there are other options.

Hello gherz817,

If you still havent found what you needed, please pm me. I can give you a contact number of a Mitsubishi integrator whom I know. He can help you even on SCADA.

Regards,
Edwin

Hi Edwinsky, I want to connect 1 A series and some FX series to SCADA. I have also some omron PLC, CJ1M and CS1 can I connect all of them in daisy chain configuration in 1 rs-485 bus? This my e-mail, [email protected]. Please correct meif I am wrong.

Thanks,

Mitsubishi FX communication ports

There is a difference on what port you use on the fx PLC. The “front” port where you plug in the programming cable is RS422. The red programming cable has a converter in it that converts from RS422 to RS232 so you can connect to your com port on the computer. RS232 is only good for about 50 feet. RS 422 will go over a thousand feet.

You can add a second RS422 port with a BD board or a add-on Block. The RS422 is used to talk to the PLC on the “processor” side. Using the RS422 port and talking to the “processor” side requires special software. Mitsubishi considers the protocol proprietary.

The “front” port is where you connect a computer for programming or an HMI and no programming is necessary in the ladder logic for communication. A computer connected to the front port can read or write to every bit or register in the PLC.

If you add a RS232 BD board or a communications add-on block plugged into the PLC you can communicate with the PLC on the program side using instructions written in the ladder program.

When communication is with the RS instruction in the ladder logic you must program in the complete send and receive string for each data point. This is fine for connecting to a printer or sending simple information to another device but the overall communication speed is limited by the scan time. The nice thing about this port is the protocol can be defined in the ladder program.

Doug Hylton

Last edited:
Hi Doug,

You mean that no need for rs422 to 485 converter to connect my FX series and A series PLC to SCADA? Rs 422 is enough to connect my PLC to SCADA? If I need a converter what brand would you suggest that already been tested?

Thanks and regards,

gherz

SCADA System

Gherz817

RS422 is good for over a thousand feet if the correct cable is used. I believe that RS422 cannot be multi-dropped like RS485 can.

Can you give use more information about your project? How many PLC’s , the distance to each PLC and the SCADA software you using?

Doug Hylton

RS422 can be multidropped and is almost identical to RS485. Both types of port can be used as either 4 wire or 2 wire but most RS422 applications tend to be 4W and most RS485 applications tend to be 2 wire. The RS422 ports on Mitsubishi A series comm's cards can generally be used on RS485 2 wire systems simply by linking the Tx and Rx terminals together at the RS422 port (Tx+ to Rx+ and Tx- to Rx-). I am not sure whether this is officially approved but it works and is fairly common practice.

Andybr

Misthubishi Communication

I have 6 A series and 4 FX Series Mitshibishi PLC's. Also i have 3 Omron plc's also serial communication is possible. I planned to hook it up with Citect SCADA or WW Intouch. Which one could you suggest and can deliver a high serial Network performance. I need a robust hmi's because I need it for Quality Monitoring. A communication timeout once would surely give me a headche.
Hope, we could choose the right HMI software.

thanks,

gherz817

I have 6 A series and 4 FX Series Mitshibishi PLC's. Also i have 3 Omron plc's, also serial communication is possible. I planned to hook it up with Citect SCADA or WW Intouch. Which one could you suggest and can deliver a high serial Network performance. I need a robust hmi's because I need it for Quality Monitoring. A communication timeout once would surely give me a headche.
Hope, I could choose the right HMI software.

thanks,

gherz817

I have 6 A series and 4 FX Series Mitshibishi PLC's. Also i have 3 Omron plc's, also serial communication is possible. The farthest distance is about 500 meters from control room.I planned to hook it up with Citect SCADA or WW Intouch. Which one could you suggest and can deliver a high serial Network performance. I need a robust hmi's because I need it for Quality Monitoring. A communication timeout once would surely give me a headche.
Hope, I could choose the right HMI software.

thanks,

gherz817