The tag 'xxx' has not been activated/does not exist

I've been struggling with this for a while now.

Somehow, I've got some "old" tags that something in the HMI is trying to reference, and dutifully complaining that it doesn't exist.

Well, it doesn't, and I don't want it to.

As far as I can tell, there is no graphic object connected to these tags, and an export of the tag database confirms they are, in fact, not there. As far as I can tell, there's no way to "Find" from RSView, so even my manual process was fruitless.

What causes these annoying errors?

I went through something like this the other day. I presume you're talking about RSView Studio; I was troubleshooting a PanelView Plus application with RSView Studio Machine Edition.

The error only came up when testing or running a single graphical screen, so we knew that there was a direct reference on that screen (since the tag was not referenced in the RSView Tag Database).

When we did a Select All and Tag Substitution, the tag showed up in the Tag Substitution window, but we still didn't know what object it was Connected to.

We finally performed an Export to XML of the graphic display, then opened the XML file and found the offending tag listed as a connection to an object called "Group1". Once we found it by name in the Object browser, we found that it was a leftover multistate indicator that had been somehow sized to 0,0 and located at 0,0 so that it was invisibly hiding in the upper-left corner of the screen.

Click-click-delete, ta-daa.

I am looking forward to a "Project Documentor" that will produce a report of which objects have which connections.

Export to XML?

(time passes)

Oh, right on! For some reason, they've hidden additional export options over there in the Explorer! All the other things I ever clicked on over there have just had "Open", and for some reason, all I ever found in the "helpful" help was about exporting tags.

So, yeah, there was a NumericInputEnable field that had referenced the defunct tag.

Thank you so much, I was highly frustrated. I'll buy you a beer.... somehow.