Tags in RsLogix5000

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings Everyone,

I'm having some difficulty working with tags in RsLogix5000. Often times I can't find a tag that I just created. Where do they go? Is there a way I could organize the tag database? I don't see them being in any specific order. I'm working on a large project, lots of tags have been created, I scroll through them over and over looking for one, this is starting to get under my skin....

Also, the fellow who wrote this program created a large number of tags that aren't used anywhere, can I delete them?

Thanks,

Jeff

At the top of the Tag window, beside "Scope" does it say "Controller tags", which can be accessed anywhere in the program and via RSLinx? Use the pull down window to see if the tags you have created are in "Program Tags", which are specified by the subroutine they are used in. Always be aware of what the scope is of the tags you are creating, that will make it easier to find. Make sure the "Show" pull down field says "Show All"
I find it easiest if the "Sort" field is by "Tag Name" (alphabetically). If you are adding a tag Online, when you switch from edit to Monitor it will show up on the bottom on the viewer until it is reorganized.

It is possible to delete tags, but only Offline. Once you delete them, then download the program to the processor.

tag view.jpg

I think Gotcho has covered the likely causes of your confusion.

Just one thing - you can delete tags on-line, provided they are not referenced anywhere. When off-line, you can delete any tag. Beware!

Data types in Controller Tags

Hello,

Just a side note, you can create a simple tag array by adding tags in Data Types (Fourth foldler from the top). Once created, declare them in the Type column of your Controller Tags . I would include a pic to help show you but I don't know how to do it yet, sorry.

🍺