RSLogix5000 - Import Tags while in Run Mode

coalsand

I've got a CSV file of 300 new alarm tags complete with alarm messages to import into a PLC - I'd be good to go if it were not for the fact that the Tools > Import > Tags and Logic Comments option was not greyed out. I assume it's greyed out due to the PLC being in Run mode.

Is there any way I can bring these tags and alarm messages in while in Run mode? (would really prefer a quick way over making manual changes)

This is a bit speculative because I can't test it and have never tried it, but you may be able to open a new offline instance of your program, save it with a temporary name, then import the tags.

Once you have the tags imported, select them in the offline instance and then drag and drop them into the online running instance.

Thanks all,

I ended up assembling a bit of a Frankenstein L5X file to both declare the new alarm tags and create a routine based on a routine export as a template.

(it took an 15000 lines due to having to include declarations for existing UDTs where I was referencing child objects as triggers to the alarms :D)

I use Excel macros and use SendKeys to loop thru the selected column and Alt-Tab to Logix then paste and move to next line down. Works great for commenting V21 and above where comments are stored in the PLC. Also for creating tags online in bulk.