RSLogix5000 / RSView Studio Tag Import/Export

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have created a Compactlogix PLC program with RSLogix5000, and now want to export the tags to PanelView Plus program created with RSView Studio ME.

How do I do this?

I have tried export .csv from RSLogix, import .csv on Studio, but the RS View Studio will not accept RSLogix file.

The "RSLogix 5000 Tag Import Tool" does not help as it only accepts .l5k files, and I cannot export my tags in that format from my RSLogix5000

You can also create a path to the offline PLC file in the communications tab.

After that, you can assign the needed tag in the connection of the function you're creating.

Thanks rdrast. That did partly work.

Problem now is that RSView Studio only imported my timer Tags, and the like, but none of my register names.

It just gives the error message:

"Error: Cannot write tag 'ABCDEF'"
"Address cannot be equal to tag name"

Which makes no sense, as the Tag name is the address.

I have tried to create a path to the offline PLC file, but that does not seem to work, as the program seems to insist on needing to communicate with the PLC to confirm its existance.

o_O:(o_O

It's actually less complicated than what you're attempting to do.

While FactoryTalk View does have an internal database of HMI Tags, it doesn't have to use them. It's easier to have FTView use the Tag Database that's inside RSLogix 5000 instead.

That's what the "Offline Tag File" assignment is for. When you create a link between a Shortcut and an RSLogix 5000 *.ACD file, this allows FactoryTalk View to browse the RSLogix 5000 Tag Database as though it was talking to a controller.

The hardest part is the fact that you need a valid definition for the Shortcut in order for that to work.

You do not need to actually hook up the controller.

A "fake" definition for the controller will suffice, and it doesn't even need to be the same model of controller. Right-click on the EtherNet/IP driver in the Development/Local tab of RSLinx Enterprise and "Add Module". Add an Ethernet module, then a controller, and define the Shortcut to point to that controller by clicking "Apply" with both the controller and the Shortcut highlighted.

Just be wary of the above approach... Direct tag addressing sounds all peaches and cream, but I'll never use it again as it turns into a maintenance nightmare. Also, in SE, you still have to keep tags for alarms (unless you use FTA&E).

Direct references cannot be scaled by the HMI either.

I have the opposite approach; I use HMI Tags minimally and depend on Direct References for speed.

If you want to use the HMI Tag Database, you just perform a Save As on the *.ACD file to save it as a *.L5K file. You don't need to use the Export function.

A "fake" definition for the controller will suffice, and it doesn't even need to be the same model of controller. Right-click on the EtherNet/IP driver in the Development/Local tab of RSLinx Enterprise and "Add Module". Add an Ethernet module, then a controller, and define the Shortcut to point to that controller by clicking "Apply" with both the controller and the Shortcut highlighted.

Where??

I can find no mention of the Ethernet/IP Driver to 'Right-Click' onto.

Thanks, I have opened the Communication Setup window to maximum, and it has now revealed the sub-window, showing the modules.

But there is still a problem, as the message accros the bottom of the window says.

"Use a different path. Compactlogix system cannot be used."

o_O :confused: :mad:

One more step; right-click on the "CompactLogix System" object and Add a Device for the CompactLogix CPU itself.

Make sure that you have the Controller itself highlighted. You'll get that error if you have highlighted the Ethernet daughtercard, the "CompactLogix System" (which is really the 1769 backplane), or the serial port of the CompactLogix.

From a CIP communications standpoint, CompactLogix is exactly like a ControlLogix with the CPU in Slot 0.

CompactLogix_can_be_used.png

RDRAST... what problems do you encounter with direct tag addressing maintenance wise? just so i don't run into the same problems also

Rob