view se lock up

kurt.brinker

One of our pc's running view se client started locking up today. We can run the application and it goes through the entire loading procedure. The home screen comes up but the alarm banner at the bottom stays blank. As soon as you click on something, the new screen comes up and then it freezes and quits responding. I did a full uninstall and reinstall with no luck.

we have our main server with a distributed application running on it. The clients connect to that pc and everything moves right along.

any ideas?

Kurt,

Did updating the SE with the latest patch work?

I didn't check the boards till this morning otherwise I would have posted the link.

while i was downloading it, another guy called and said his client was starting to act up on him. I restarted the server and everyone came up fine, even the guy who had the initial problems.

I find i have to restart this thing more often than i feel i should. I get around 3-4 months between restarts.

kurt.brinker said:
any more info on the patch. i can search the AB tech base but if you have any other info it would be greatly appreciated

There seems to be SE patches out every couple of weeks for this particular product.
After my experience with SE distributed, ANY time I have a problem the first thing I do is go and get the latest patch and apply it.
The main reason is the first question Tech Support will ask is "Have you applied the latest patch?"

It's usually fixed the problems I've had (or mitigated them somewhat), though I have to be careful which order I reboot the different PCs.

Thats sort of what was happening to mine, It ran fine for 3 months and then 1 morning locked up tighter than you know what. It did happen to lock up on the morning of the customer coming in, BTW.

After a few phone calls with A-B support trying this and that, they suggested I download the latest patch. It fixed my problem.

Can't say for sure, it's up to you. I had no trouble with the SE patch. I updated 3 different computers including my laptop with no problems.

I did have trouble with the Oct ME patch and had to reinstall the software to get it working again.

Check 1 - DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES IN WINDOWS. Completely.
Check 2 - For any rev lower than 5.x, DISABLE Hyperthreading, and multiple cores.

I've been running RSView SE 4.x here now for several years, and have not had any notable lockup issues at all on a half a dozen systems that were not attributable to actual computer problems. Most often, heat, flakey memory, or failing hard drives.

Just switched one production installation over to Version 5.0 about a week and a half ago, and it has been running flawlessly as well.

rdrast said:
Check 1 - DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES IN WINDOWS. Completely.
Check 2 - For any rev lower than 5.x, DISABLE Hyperthreading, and multiple cores.

I've been running RSView SE 4.x here now for several years, and have not had any notable lockup issues at all on a half a dozen systems that were not attributable to actual computer problems. Most often, heat, flakey memory, or failing hard drives.

Just switched one production installation over to Version 5.0 about a week and a half ago, and it has been running flawlessly as well.

1. Done. I updated the pc when i first got it and then disabled it.
2. I am running view se 4.0 cpr7. Are there specific processes i need to disable multiple cores on?
Its just a normal pc running the server. core2duo, 2gb pc6400, (2) 300gb hdd's in raid 0. Nothing super fancy but it gets the job done.

Kurt, first thing I'd try there, would be to either go to 5.x, or download the latest service pack rollup (Oct 7, I think), and apply it per instructions.
Second, would be to completely disable the Windows firewall if it is running.

Also, check the event log in Windows (all subsections) for any oddball critical errors or alerts.