RSLogix 5000 Reset electronic fuse in HMI

novice said:
This is a theory question raised in class. Can electronic fuse be reset in HMI display? If so, how? Thanks.

Well what is your thought? Then you may get a few hints from there, but no one will just flat out give you the answer.

novice said:
This is a theory question raised in class. Can electronic fuse be reset in HMI display? If so, how? Thanks.

First lets define what you are asking.

RSLogix5000 can be used to develop a program where some "faults" may be reset from an HMI.

An electronic fuse is an overcurrent device that basically "melts" apart when excessive current is applied; which in turns requires it to be replaced AFTER determining what happened.

So please define what you mean by electronic fuse.

Some AB discrete output cards like the 1756-OA8E and 1756-OB16E, and OB16D have resettable electronic fuses on each of the outputs. The status of each of the fuses can be monitored at Local:Slot:I.FuseBlown.##.

The electronic fuse can be reset from RSLogix5000 programming software or it can be programatically reset in Ladder or ST with a CIP generic message to the module. Since this is probably beyond the scope of your class, I'll just refer you to technote 19639 in Allen Bradley's Knowledgebase for details on exactly how to program the message.

So anyways, back to the actual question; We know we can program a reset message to the module in ladder, so how might you use that knowledge to answer the question "Can you do it from an HMI? How?

Edit to add: An electronic fuse is a polymer semiconductor device that interrupts current flow when an overcurrent condition exists. They can be made to "slow blow" or "fast blow" but are (at the present state of the technology) impractical for large currents. Electronic fuses automatically reset themselves a few second after "blowing" and as such are useful mainly in conjunction with another switching device. A latch circuit can be used to keep the switch off until the condition that caused the overcurrent is corrected, otherwise the electronic fuse will repeatedly blow and reset. Resetting a blown electronic fuse is really resetting the latch.

Where ever possible, I use 1756 outputs with the electronic fuses over individually fusing the outputs. The fuse can be alarmed back to the HMI and integrated as a permissive as part of controlling the process.

Last edited:
I apologize for not being clear. The electronic fuses I'm talking about are found in 1756-OB16D & 1756-IB16D modules (that have diagnostic features).

Thanks for the info.
RSlogix5000 can send a reset fuse message to a moudle or you can write a subroutine in your PLC program to send the message.

Given that, as a student, can you think of a way to perform the reset action from an RSView screen?

Last edited: