Setup wireless Ethernet Connection

kkaneko

Anyone know how to setup the SLC5/05 to communicate through the office network (Wireless). Does Rockwell have such tips?
Can't find any.

It's very easy.
Do you have the Wireless network set up?
Can your computer join the wireless network?
Now is the PLC connected to the wired network that the wireless is wired to?
Do the subnets match?
Do all devices on the network have unique IP addresses?
Once you answer yes to all the above, it's simple. We then use RSLinx to define an Ethernet/IP driver, & browse to the device.

Yes to all. Now I am getting a "192.168. . unrecognized device" on the rslinx.
Since the wireless is connected to a 10 port switch or a hub, do you need to setup the gateway address in the SLC 5/05 controller?
Thanks in advance.

No, no need for a gateway.

Sounds like you need an EDS file.
Go to www.ab.com & pick up the EDS file. This will allow you to recognize the device.

kkaneko said:
I was able to ping to the SLC 5/05 ip address.
I will try and change the gateway address on the processor

NO. STOP RIGHT THERE.
Go to www.AB.com
Get the EDS file.
You will be able to recognize the device.
Changing the gateway has nothing to do with your problem.

CroCop said:
NO. STOP RIGHT THERE.
Go to www.AB.com
Get the EDS file.
You will be able to recognize the device.
Changing the gateway has nothing to do with your problem.

I did find two things from Knowledgebase.
One is to get t he EDS file and the other is to change the IP address on the processor to Class C.
The first one is ID32176 or 34562.The other is ID7480.

I was able to PING to the processor on the other side of the router but not communicate to it.
AB had a solution and the above is the solution.
Thanks

Sorry to bump this old post but the ID you posted is that to a knowledgbase article?..Just curious..i have never had to communicate with an SLC over ethernet only Clx...Just wondering what you mean by changing the addy to a class C??

From knowledgebase I.D 7480:
Problem:
Able to PING a processor on the other side of a router but not communicate to it.

Solution:
The processor was initially configured with Class A IP address and the router was configured to only allow message packets to Class C network addresses to be sent through. This meant that the router permitted the ping command but not any messages to route through. Once the IP address on the processor was changed to a Class C, RSLinx could communicate to it.

From How Things Work:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question549.htm