cognex camera l

zekruss

hi , i'm a student working on a vision project using an insight camera which have to be integrated in a machine controlled by a visual basic program , i downloaded the trial version of insight explorer and i finished the job editing , but i have a basic question to ask , i have no camera available for the moment so i couldn't do some tests , but i want to know if the job is processed by the camera processor "embedded job working " or does the camera only aquire the image and then transfer it into the spreadsheet of insight emulator , i am unable to distinguish the difference between an emulator and the camera , what i want is to run my job which aquire the image after a software aquistion trigger started when a read device occurs , and then returns the result in this device using the network
could you explain to me please how i can run the job by the camera , can the job be loaded automaticly to the camera or should i start insight explorer then connect to the camera then it can work properly
when simulating i send info to the spreadsheet using tcp device from visual basic the adress is 127.0.0.1 , of the local machine , should i change the adress to the camera IP adress when the camera will be connected ?

thank you for your attention

I did some work with a DVT camera once. I had the distributor bring in a camera we took some pictures of the product. Then we did all the setup in the software using the pic's we had. By going one to the next we were able to see how the software would react. So I think if you have the images saved that you want to use then you should be able to do most everything without the camera.

zekruss said:
i want to know if the job is processed by the camera processor "embedded job working " or does the camera only aquire the image and then transfer it into the spreadsheet of insight emulator
Yes, an In-Sight camera is a self-contained device. Once a job has been configured, it runs on the camera CPU. There is no need to run In-Sight Explorer all the time, only if you want to see what is going on or if you want to modify the job.
, i am unable to distinguish the difference between an emulator and the camera , what i want is to run my job which aquire the image after a software aquistion trigger started when a read device occurs , and then returns the result in this device using the network
In-Sight emulator is just that - it simulates the workings of a camera on a PC, without actual camera connected. There is no trigger and no image aquisition, but if you have some sample images (.BMP or .JPG files) you can load them into the emulator and debug the vision job. Emulator does not have physical inputs and outputs, however it provides the same network communications as a real camera does.
There are several ways to exchange data with camera via network. I have been using mostly Modbus TCP/IP communications but there is a couple more protocols built in. All are described in In-Sight Explorer help documentation and there are some samples available for download from Cognex web site.
could you explain to me please how i can run the job by the camera , can the job be loaded automaticly to the camera or should i start insight explorer then connect to the camera then it can work properly
Once you have created a job on the camera and saved it, you can define it as a startup job on "Sensor" - > "Startup..." menu. No, you don't need to run In-Sight Explorer afterwards.
when simulating i send info to the spreadsheet using tcp device from visual basic the adress is 127.0.0.1 , of the local machine , should i change the adress to the camera IP adress when the camera will be connected ?
Yes, of course, you would have to use the real camera IP address. IP address 127.0.0.1, as you probably know, is a special "loopback" address meaning "myself".