RSLogix interfacing with Cognex camera

kfang

I have a Cognex Insight 2000-130 camera that I'm trying to get talking to my PLC. Both are connected to the same router via Ethernet. Thus far I've followed the steps from Cognex's site (https://www.cognex.com/support/downloads/ns/1/11/91/Integration with RSLogix v1.pdf). My RSLogix is version 20.0.4 and I have downloaded AOP 1.28.

My problem is that once I configure my camera as a module under the Ethernet node, I get an error (code 16#0204 Connection request error: connection request timed out.) It's finnicky and seems to cut in and out though. Rarely it will run, at other times it will show error #0203 but it's most frequently in the timed out/IO Faulted state.

I have double checked the IP address of my camera, I can connect to it in Cognex's In-Sight Explorer. I've also configured the camera to have Ethernet/IP comms.

Any ideas? I've tried configuring as Generic Ethernet module, I've tried changing ports, DHCP is disabled, etc.

dQlGVho.png

Insight Explorer diagnostic log:
xq0EBLw.png

192.168.2.251 is the IP address of the PLC's Ethernet card

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community ! You've brought a pretty complex and vendor-dependent issue to kick off your participation with.

Unfortunately I don't have direct Cognex integration experience to offer, and the document you linked looks like it includes a clear flowchart for selecting the connection methods and Cognex firmware versions that are compatible with various ControlLogix firmware.

Figuring this out might require you to get some low-level data captures between the ControlLogix and the Cognex camera. Do you have a managed switch or network tap you can use to route the data to an instance of Wireshark ?

What you might be seeing is an actually bad link, where packets are being lost or blocked and the controller is really timing out the connection.

Or, you might be seeing the controller trying to build up the cyclic I/O data connection, then getting an error related to an object or instance or option, then cancelling the connection, which shows up as a "connection timeout" in Logix and as a connection closure in Cognex.

Check the firmware revision of that 1756-ENBT; those modules go back a long time, so see if the firmware is fairly modern.

And as a general matter, when you create a new object in the Ethernet I/O connections section of the I/O tree, do it from scratch instead of modifying the properties of the connection. You might even want to go as far as deleting the object, exporting the project as *.L5K text file, and creating a whole new project so there are no traces of the old object in the controller's connection schema.

Had the same kind of issue with a keyence iv3. Flashed the firmware on the enbt card and all is well now.

-What's the protocol setup of the IS2000? It won't come with Ethernet/IP enabled out of the box.
-What are the IP Address, Subnet and Gateway address of the ENBT and the IS2000?
-Can you ping both devices from opposite sides of the network?
-Have you ruled out the ethernet switch as an issue?
-Have you ruled out cables as an issue?

In my experience, the Cognex stuff talks to the Rockwell stuff with few issues.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ken, unfortunately we only have an unmanaged switch. I'm not well-versed in networks, am I not able to directly see the traffic between the Ethernet module and my camera through Wireshark without a tap?

-What's the protocol setup of the IS2000? It won't come with Ethernet/IP enabled out of the box.
-What are the IP Address, Subnet and Gateway address of the ENBT and the IS2000?
-Can you ping both devices from opposite sides of the network?
-Have you ruled out the ethernet switch as an issue?
-Have you ruled out cables as an issue?

In my experience, the Cognex stuff talks to the Rockwell stuff with few issues.

1. I configured Ethernet/IP for the IS2000 through Cognex's insight explorer (with Device: PLC / Motion Controller, Manufacturer: Rockwell Automation, Protocol: EtherNet/IP)
2. ENBT has IP address 192.168.2.251, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway Address 192.168.2.1 and IS2000 has IP address 192.168.2.250, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway Address 192.168.2.1
3. I'm unsure how to do that, but I can successfully ping both the Ethernet module and the camera from my laptop on the same network.
4. Yes, I've also attempted connections to ports which are known to be functional.
5. Yes, same as 4. I've attempted connections with known working cables.

The 1756ENBT is on version 6.006 of the firmware.

Any chance you have a duplicate IP?
Is there any DHCP server's on the same network that these IP's may be in the address pool?

Any chance you have a duplicate IP?
Is there any DHCP server's on the same network that these IP's may be in the address pool?

that can be checked with arp -a right? It looks like those IPs are unique when I scan through all the interfaces.

If your OS is Win10x64 then upgrade to RSLogix20.05.

If your IS2000-130 running with firmware 6.1.0, It may not work with AOP v1.28, since the AOP support firmware 4.x and 5.x

ANY LUCK ON THIS? what a $$$$$ great question.

I understand you have the same issue, but you have not told us anything ab out your hardware/software.

ANY LUCK ON THIS? what a $$$$$ great question.

I understand you have the same issue, but you have not told us anything ab out your hardware/software.

I am sorry following up on this thread seems to have offended you. I saw it had gone a few weeks without update so presumably the OP had solved the issue. Why introduce all the variables of my system when the solution may already be out there?

Also, I fixed my issue. It was a poorly terminated ethernet cable.