ab 5/25 set up

zxninja

I am having big time trouble setting up my PLC, I am using rslogix5 to a kf2 to a 5/25 processor in a 16 slot rack. I went through the directions for setting the dip switches and think I have them set right but, I cant go on line. I am using rslinx lite 1.7 and have configured the kf2 to its proper settings using the auto configure. This is the only PLC on the DH+ so it is not getting confused with any other nodes.

I have set the processor dip switch 1 to node 00 and adapter mode, but I am not sure if switches 2 and 3 are set correct. If they are not, will this prevent me from going on line??? Switch 3 look straight forward, I have them all open(off) 1: plc terminator open for 150 ohms out
2: remote I/O terminator open for 150 ohms out
3: not used open
4: not used open

It is switch 2 that I am cofused with, right now it is set to:
1: open for full rack
2: open for baud used
3-8 closed as in the diagram on the processor for node 00

I set the chassis switches to
1: open(off) for I/O are turned off if a hardware error happens
2 & 3: always open as in diagram
4 & 5: open/closed for one slot addressing
6 & 7: open/open for EEPROM memory transfer to processor on power up
8: open for memory protection disabled

Now that the switches were set to these specs, I configured the processor and chassis in rslogix to match, but when I try to go on line, it cant find the processor....@$#%&%$

Any suggestions would be great...thanks for your time....JEFF

short on time - leaving soon for the weekend -

are you sure that both of the cables are correct?

change the PLC node to something else (beside 00) and try it again -

if i have time before i leave, i'll look through the KF2 notes -

good luck

last thoughts before i go ...

quick answers (no time to go into detail) to your post
[my notes are in square brackets]

It is switch 2 that I am confused with, right now it is set to:
1: open for full rack
2: open for baud used
3-8 closed as in the diagram on the processor for node 00
[switch 2 is used for adapter mode (we’ll talk about what that means later) for now just keep in mind that you want the PLC in scanner mode - try setting all DIP’s on switch 2 to the off position]

I set the chassis switches to
1: open(off) for I/O are turned off if a hardware error happens
[ok]
2 & 3: always open as in diagram
[ok]
4 & 5: open/closed for one slot addressing
[ok]
6 & 7: open/open for EEPROM memory transfer to processor on power up
[you don’t need an EEPROM for beginner exercises - and I doubt that you have one anyway - so change this setting to NO TRANSFER]
8: open for memory protection disabled
[ok]

[on the PLC - for now - just turn all of the DIP’s on switch 1 OFF - that will set the PLC NODE address to 77 - and also set it up for a scanner (not an adapter)]

hope this helps - got to go - I’ll be offline this weekend - you’ll probably get it working before Monday - if not we’ll try again -

ps - here’s a link to the KF2 book in case you don’t already have it -
http://www.ab.com/manuals/cn/17706513.pdf

keep in mind that if you change any KF2 switch settings then you MUST power it down and then back up again or the changes won’t register -

good luck -

Remember that the PLC-5/25 has both DH+ (sometimes labeled "PCL" or "Peer Comm Link") and Remote I/O ports. You need to be hooked up to the DH+ port (the top one) only from the 1770-KF2.

Switch SW2 has nothing to do with DH+ operation.

SW1 switches 1 through 6 set the DH+ Node number as shown on page A-7 of the User Manual.

Set the PLC to Node 02 so there's no chance of it being confused with the RSLinx/KF2 driver.

SW3 sets the termination resistor; go ahead and set SW3-2 ON to terminate the DH+ link if this PLC and the KF2 are the only devices.

If RSLinx successfully discovers the KF2, you ought to be able to browse and go online with the PLC-5/25.

RSLinx Lite 1.7 is very old... almost five years. It ought to work with the KF2, though.

Double-check the cable between the KF2 and the PLC-5/25... try switching the blue and clear wires to see if you got them backwards.

Thanks guys but still no luck, been trying all freekin day now.....After changing the SW1 to all open for scanner mode and station 77, I am now reading fault lights on the processor. Red on the comm light, red ont the prec light, battery, red, red ,red....I noticed in the kf2 manuel that it has settings for either RS232C or RS422A, with the 5/25 I should set it for????? I beleive it is on 232 right now. The KF2 lights are all lit when I try to go on line except for the XMTG, it seems to be looking for the token.

Jeff

I also double checked the peer com wires and they seem to be in order...blue on top
sheild
clear

And the linx is reading the kf2 no problem, it is able to auto configure the setting it came with.
com port 1
baud rate 19200
device Kf2
parity none
error checking BCC
stop bits 1
protocol full duplex

Okay, let's take it slowly.

We know that the RS-232 standard DF1 full duplex connection between your RSLinx station and the 1770-KF2 is working because you can use the "AutoConfig" function in the DF1 driver and it succeeds, determining the correct device type, data rate, and framing settings.

What you're confused about now is the wire between the 1770-KF2 and the PLC-5/25, as well as the settings of the PLC-5/25 DIP switches.

For reasons that are losts to the mists of time, the 1770-KF2 has a fifteen pin Data Highway connector. That "Data Highway Monitor" connector on the left ? That doesn't do anything.

The wiring of the 15-pin connector on the 1770-KF2 to the 3-pin connector on the PLC-5/25 is:

Pin 6 - Blue
Pin 7 - Shield
Pin 8 - Clear

BINGO!!!! thanks for all the help again guys, I missed the power supply switch on the chassis. It was set to an external power supply and I am using an intermal. Thanks again this was a BIG help..enjoy the rest of your weekend...JEFF