visual indicator for ip phone ringing

careed_25

Does anyone know of a telestrobe type product that will indicate when a telephone is ringing. The phone we are using are cisco ip phones. Since these phone are on an ip network along with plcs would there be a way to get info off the network to tell the plc that the phone is ringing and then close an ouput to a visual indicator? This might be a difficult way to accomplish this, the best thing would be to find a product like a telestrobe that would work on an ip phone. Oh by the way we need this product because we use these phones underground and they are mounted in a mobile substation and they are not ringing loud enough.

leitmotif said:
Put a relay in parallel with the ringer speaker / bell / or whatever and have relay control the light??

Dan Bentler

Can't do that with IP phones (voice over internet protocol).

I have a voice over IP question too...another thread...

When I worked at this one factory they used a strobe light to let one know the phone ringing one night got really bored so I made a small box with the strobe light, photocell, and a ice cube relay. wired all together, placed under my bosses desk then routed his phone line through it, plus wired the office lights through the ice cube relay. So when his phone would ring, the strobe light would activate, and the photocell would since the light, then turn on the relay, office lights go off. Set it up so the relay stay latched until the light switch was turned off. When the light switch turned back on office lights would go back on.

Was a lot of fun watching him trying to figure out why his lights would go off every time the phone rang. He would turn the light switch off and on the lights would start working normal again.

Yes had way to much time at work at nights

OkiePC said:
Can't do that with IP phones (voice over internet protocol).

I have a voice over IP question too...another thread...

OK I am not much of a phone electrician type. I was thinking they would still have a speaker.

SO what does make the ringing sound in one of these phones?

Dan Bentler