new on PLC universe

gianfranco

Hallo to everybody

I'm totally new on PLC universe and I want to learn how programming, i have a AB micrologix 1000 with cables and i also download the software, i think i will need help on set up the computer connection and olso some suggestionson what i must need to know in order to have the basics (I have alot of tutorials fol ladder, some books and PLC simulators but i feel little bit in confusion too much datas)

thankyou
GIO

welcome to the PLC world the book above is excellent and extremely handy
now you stated your unsure on how to connect so here are the steps
open RSlinx I assume you have it under communications tab click this
then you will see a configure driver menu click add new
then select rs232 it will open a AB_DF1 driver from this menu select your comm port
for device you will need SLC_CHO/micro/panelview

rest are default once you have a connection make sure you select open on request or there is a tendency for RS linx to lock up commports

you will know it connects when you look in the main window of RSlinx it will show what nodes it detects and you should see the micrologix unit under node 0

thankyou guys for your help,

i connect the device on my PC and set Rslinx, and up to here is fine I heve a problem on RSlogix i can't open the communication drop menu and if i try to set the parameter under "options" pane i can't set the parameters, I have rslinx 1.70 i think is a older wersionand i looking for the 2.0 version but unfortunatly i can't find it any suggestions?

If its a liciensed copy you can goto the Rockwell website and download the upgrade not sure how you would go about it. on that same options menu try the who active as far as your problem I've never had that one myself so can't help there but the who active will at leasst indicate if your version of RSlogix is compatible with your RSlinx please post your version of RSlinx and RS logix as well as your operating system it may provide some clues

Thankyou Mordred
I did download a upgrade on the Rslinkx from rockwell but notthing happen, I have a RXlogix 6.10.00 that is a free wersion release from rockwell as a starter kit that comes with the micrologix 1000 that I have I will try to download the service pack from rockwell may be it will fix the problem

gianfranco said:
Ok mickey, this is the serial number 1761-L16BWB

The FREE software ( RSLogix500 for the 10 point ML1000) will only work with the 10 point ML1000 1761L10XXX. ( see the link I posted above)

Last edited:
Greetings gianfranco ...

my distinguished colleague Mickey isn't trying to mislead you - but when I read your question and then his answer, it looks like there might be a potential for misunderstanding ... the software that he linked to is a "stand alone" SIMULATION package and it will NOT work to program your MicroLogix hardware ...

now the "Learning Pit" simulation software that Mickey recommended is a lot like the RSLogix500 package that you need - and it would be a good idea to work through the exercises it offers ... but the cheapest software package that will actually program your MicroLogix is about US$500 ...

secret handshake: the FREE downloadable copy of RSLogix500 will ONLY work for one specific (the SMALLEST) model of MicroLogix ... so at this point you have at least two options:

(1) spend the money for the RSLogix500 software that you require ... or ...

(2) buy an additional MicroLogix with the model number that Mickey mentioned - so that the free software will work ... you might be interested in this link ...

hope this helps ...