monitor network traffic

hasan_ali

I have 25 PLCs working on control net network. I want to monitor the network efficiency and traffic for better working of my whole system so how can i monitor the network?
is this to be monitored throough RS Networks??if so then where in RS Networks?

I don't know anything about RS Networks. You can monitor traffic via SNMP on your devices. If you want to analyze what's going on in great detail for a short period of time, use a packet sniffer like Ethereal.

Oh sorry - Control net. I would think that RSLinx would have metrics built in. RSNetworx might be your only option. I'd check with the OPC server people (Kepware, Matrikon, Software Toolbox). You may get a good "hook" in the middle there. They should be experts on efficiency and performance for network traffic.

hasan_ali said:
I have 25 PLCs working on control net network. I want to monitor the network efficiency and traffic for better working of my whole system so how can i monitor the network?
is this to be monitored throough RS Networks??if so then where in RS Networks?

What's wrong with the tools already built into RSLinx and RSNetworx? You pretty much have all you need.

Thanks for useful suggestions,
I have developed the network in the way that all PLCs are communicating through controlnet and ethernet also.My computer through which i am monitoring is connected through ethernet to PLCs so in RS Linx if i look driver dignostics it gives me the performance of ethernet network not controlnet. I want to monitor controlnet network performance so that to avoid overloading on network.
So what should i do?