Datalogging from ControlLogix Directly to Excel

Coachman

Would anybody know of any Datalogging software that is much cheaper than Rockwell, that I can log tag values to excel, without any conversion efforts. I was shocked how much FactoryTalk Historian is. I would like to trend tags from CompactLogix
and ControlLogix and write them directly to excel.

Thanks in advance. Like the LSU Coach said "Have a Great Day"

Take a look at software toolbox using the following link: http://www.opcdatalogger.com/. For about $495.00 you can log data to Excel or database programs. I am assuming that you already have RSLinx to function as the OPC server. I hope that this helps.

Regards

Coach,
I was just recently surveying users on what would be useful for a free version of FactorySQL. It's a commercial package that provides an easy drag/drop/log interface to SQL databases. My first request was going to be .CSV logging capabilities.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=12965

Coachman said:
Would anybody know of any Datalogging software that is much cheaper than Rockwell, that I can log tag values to excel, without any conversion efforts. I was shocked how much FactoryTalk Historian is. I would like to trend tags from CompactLogix
and ControlLogix and write them directly to excel.

Thanks in advance. Like the LSU Coach said "Have a Great Day"

I am currently using a 6" Automation Direct touch screen, created some trending charts and am logging information in a csv format to a 4gig jump drive.

I then created an FTP site so I could extract the data without having to remove the jump drive.

Currently, I am only logging data every 10 seconds.

I believe the screen was about $800 dollars, but I was already keeping it around as a spare, so you decide whether it actually cost or not. The software if I remember correctly was $130.

Redlion also has G3 series touch screens that will do the same thing except they have to use a different memory card. The screen price is comparable to the Automation Direct screen, and the software is a free download (Crimson 2.0). They also have a communication gateway that you can create a virtual screen, but is just a little black box. This can be mounted in a panel or set up in the office.

Just some ideas if anyone is just looking for something to get by. It is not actually free, and probably not readily available for just anyone to get info from, but in some ways that might be a blessing.

Thanks for your response ,

I did download a Demo of OPC Datalogger from Software Toolbox.
I have a few questions about RS Linx. I have RS Linx Classic
Can I use this as a OPC Server ?

What do I need to do to Configure RX Linx to work between my
CompactLogix and OPC Datalogger ? Topic Configuration ?

Thanks as always,

Yes, RSLinx is an OPC Server and you should be able to browse to an RSLinx OPC Topic once you have configured it. Also, Software Toolbox has great tech support. You can give them a call and I am sure that they can walk you through it and they may even have some downloadable technotes.

Good luck

I´ve been using a package for several years with 100% success, it is called XLreporter, it communicates with all AB plc's thru Rslinx classic acting as an OPC server.
Besides logging into excel i used it to create customized reports that works really fine.
You can download a demos from www.sytech.com

Forgot to mention. FactorySQL will satisfy this requirement as well. Can download free demo (2 hour resettable runtime) from here. user/pass is: demo/demo to skip the user info form. edit - oops, it logs to SQL databases. CSV logging support will be released in the next version by February.

Any version of RSLinx Classic will work for both products except "Lite" (no key), which isn't an OPC Server.