Problem - Writing S7-400 Flash Memory

John Gaunt

I am using Step7 V5.3 + SP1
I have a test PLC CPU 414-2 DP 6ES7 414-2XG04-0AB0
I can sucessfully download a program to the flash memory card using step7 provided the program is for this particular CPU.

I have a customer in South Korea who has an earlier CPU with only one MPI / DP port CPU 412-1 6ES7 412-1XF03-0AB0. I have the correct project for this in step7 but am unable to download the program to the flash memory card using my test CPU.
Any ideas?

I plan to visit the customer but am concerned that once I put this flash memory card (wrong program) in his PLC I will not be able to establish communications in order to download the program even using his PLC.

As long as you have the backup batteries installed, the Flashcard will not be read.
If there is a flashcard already in the PLC in Korea, then there is no need to exchange it with your flashcard from home (*).
Simply go online and download the changed blocks. Check that everything works OK. If OK use the store to memory card function.

*: If there is no flashcard already, then check that there are batteries in the PSU, power down, insert the flashcard, power up, do the steps mentioned above.

Thanks JesperMP,
I think you have answered my question. My test PLC has no batteries installed and even when I install the flash card with the CPU stopped but powered up I cannot get back to run without the CPU loading from the flash card.

I will install batteries in my test PLC and do some experiments.

The CPU in Korea has no flash card installed. I had planned to write the program to the flash card here in Australia and then send it to Korea for someone else to install. Due to the different CPU model I am unable to communicate with my test PLC from my Korea project. I don't have any other means to write to a flash memory card.

I have now installed new batteries in my test PLC. I am using a test project that is correct for my test CPU model. However, I am still unable to install a flash memory card in the CPU and get the CPU back in RUN without the program re-loading from the flash card.

I have tried installing the flash card with the CPU powered up but in the STOP mode and I have tried installing it with the PLC powered down but leaving the CPU switch in the RUN position.

Any ideas?

Every time I install the flash memory card, the CPU loads the program from it. Even if I leave the CPU switch in the STOP position I can examine the online program and verify that the program has loaded from the flash card.

Perhaps this wouldn't happen with a new "out of the box" card?

Perhaps this wouldn't happen with a flash card with an invalid program (ie not for my CPU model)?

Is there some way that I can erase the program on the flash card?

It happend sometimes in s5 programs..If the memory is not bigeer inaf for program PLC read the memory but stay in Stop mode and u need to turn in run mode by PC But after one overal reset usualy PLC download full program from flshmemory and u give compres memory and turn in run mode PLC. That it happend when program is to big...to big for memory ..to big for PLC or mebe memory is not compatibbile with a PLC or is broken.

Thanks mugurvlad,
My program is smaller than the Flash Memory Card so I don't think that is the problem.

The problem is that I cannot find a way to install the Flash Memory Card in the CPU and then run the old program. The CPU always loads the program from the flash card and runs that.

Do Siemens have a separate product (not the PLC) that I can use to Read / Write Flash Memory Cards from Step7?

If so I assume I could use it to write the program for the CPU in Korea that is a different model to my test CPU.

Exactly what type is the CPU ?
I remember something about some types having only a little load memory, so that for bigger programs there must be a Flash card or a Ram card. And in that case the CPU always loads from the card.

Thanks JesperMP,
My test PLC is: CPU 414-2 DP 6ES7 414-2XG04-0AB0

My customer in South Korea has an smaller CPU with only one MPI / DP port CPU 412-1 6ES7 412-1XF03-0AB0.

The test CPU has separate memory areas for code and data. 256kB for each. Its load memory is 256kB.

The CPU in Korea has only 48kB for code and 48kB for data. I don't have information about its load memory size.

Last edited: