Problem writing value Factorytalk

Nametag

Hi

I have Factorytalk view ME on a PC. There is two plcs which it communicated with

PLC1 (1769-L32E)- communicates with no issue (read and write)

PLC2 (1769-L32E)- can read values but not write values
- Values which are read from the plc are updated with no issue
- Values which are written to the PLC give an error "Problem writing value 'TRUE' to item '[plc2]Test'"

As a test i created a bool "Test" in plc2, a numeric display and a pushbutton. If i change the value manually in the plc the numeric display will update with no issue. When the pushbutton is pressed i recieve the above error.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks

In the RSLogix 5000 Tag Database, examine the "External Access" column for the tags in PLC2.

The default is "Read/Write" but you might have those specific tags configured for Read Only.

The fact that the error message says it's trying to write a value of "TRUE" to the tag suggests it's a BOOL datatype. Be sure the datatype in RSLogix 5000 matches the datatype in your FactoryTalk application.

Thanks ken,

All tags are Read/Write and the tag i am trying to write to is indeed a BOOL. I have several INT that i try to write values into as well and get the error, but instead of "value of 'TRUE'" it is "Value of '2'" etc.

I think I may have gotten started fixing this issue. Sometimes PLC2 gives an error when trying to connect with rslogix5000. Something like all CIP connections are taken. I think this is where my issue lies. If i disconnect everything from the ethernet network and reconnect only plc2 and Factorytalk i can write to these tags

PLC2 Communicates with
A SQL database
2 HMIs (AutomationDirect)
1 SCADA computer (Factorytalk View ME)
PLC1

Is there anyway to tell how many connections each use?

With that additional information I agree this is probably a resource problem rather than a configuration problem.

The rule of thumb with the 1756-L32E is that it can handle 32 CIP connections.

Some devices make more than one connection; FactoryTalk View can make up to five for different purposes (data logging, diagnostics, ordinary read/write, etc).

I/O connections, particularly analog modules, start chewing up your budget pretty fast too.

Have a look at the embedded Web pages in the 1769-L32E; there should be some good diagnostics there.