Remote connection to S7 PLC

emokar

Hello,

Consider to factories , A and B , which are 50 km far from eac other.

My team at A factory is going to give automation support to B factory. Therefore we need to establish remote connection to PLCs at B factory to see them online or maybe to force a memory etc.

I know this kind of connections are possible, and we take this kind of support from Austria to Turkey in one of our lines. But I don't know how?

Is there anybody to tell?

Hello,

You don't mention which types of PLC are involved but here are a couple of options for you to consider:

1: Connect PLCs at site B to a PC, equiped with the programming/monitoring software, then use remote access software (PC Anywhere?) from Site A to access the PC at Site B.

2: Connect all your PLCs at Site B to an Ethernet network and access them across the network from Site A

Nick

All PLCs are S7-300 , sorry i forgot to mention..

I thought accessing the network. It seems to be possible but i am not sure about the connection speed.

Currently there is a dial-up connection between Austria and our site in Turkey. What do i need to have that kind of connection?

Or is there any other way besides network connection?

emokar said:
Currently there is a dial-up connection between Austria and our site in Turkey. What do i need to have that kind of connection?
Hello emokar,
Two modems...
1 connected to the PC in factory A, and 1 connected to the PLC in factory B.
Don't know how to set up modems for Siemens PLCs, but it should be fairly straightforward.
I have used Omron PLCs with Westermo modems fairly easily!

Hope this helps.

You can use the Teleservice adapter that is already working by installing the TeleService software on your programmer/pc then making a modem connection to the remote site.

The Teleservice V6.1 software is supplied by Siemens as part number: 6ES7 842-0CE00-0YE0

This solution will work but if you have a network link between the two sites then you would be better off using that. You can buy MPI-Ethernet adaptors from Netlink to connect to PLCs that don't have ethernet.

Nick

Manglemender said:
Hello,

You don't mention which types of PLC are involved but here are a couple of options for you to consider:

1: Connect PLCs at site B to a PC, equiped with the programming/monitoring software, then use remote access software (PC Anywhere?) from Site A to access the PC at Site B.

2: Connect all your PLCs at Site B to an Ethernet network and access them across the network from Site A

Nick

I would go for www.logmein.com (like pc anywhere, but free) if you have internet access (and engineers)at each site.

I am not sure how much support you are trying to give. Will you have engineers/technicians at both sites who can use a laptop and plug into a plc? SO you are just combining skills of both sites engineers to fault find?

Or are you trying to remote support the "button pushers" with no qualified people on site?

Use the IBH Link S7

If you have an Ethernet / internet connection between the factory’s, then use the IBH Link S7 for the connection. It is simple to use and it have drivers for Step7 so you can connect direct from the software.

If you have more than 1 S7 PLC system you want to have access to, them make an MPI network between the PLC’s and use 1 IBH Link S7 for access. You can now get access to all the PLC systems and it is easy to change between the PLC systems.

I have used the IBH Link S7 a lot of times as programming connection or as SCADA connection.

Link to IBH Link S7:
http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/english/IBH_Link_S7.htm

IBH Distributor in Turkey is:
EMIKON LTD. STI.
81090 Istanbul
Tel. +90 216 420 83 45
Fax +90 216 420 83 48