Remote connection to PLC and remote Upload/Download to PanelView Plus

kloc5

Hello,

I have a machine with a 1756-L72 Controllogix PLC and 1756-EN2T network card, and PanelView Plus 7 HMI. I am using RSLogix V20.05.00 and FactoryTalk View ME 11.00.00. My question is what ports would need to be opened to remotely connect to the PLC and to remotely upload / download the HMI with the Transfer Utility. I've seen the list of ports from Rockwell, but I wasn't sure which would need to be open for this connection and how to set this up for the PLC and HMI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You should only need TCP Port 44818 to be available from the development PC to the controller and HMI. In addition to using the RSLinx browse, I like to verify with the "tnc" function in Windows PowerShell, with the "-p 44818" port number argument.

BUT ALSO:

The controller Ethernet interface and the HMI will probably need to have their Default Gateway address set to the IP address of the network gateway or router.

Unless you have an unusually well configured VPN, the broadcast-based browsing drivers in RSLinx Classic and FactoryTalk Linx won't find the controller by themselves. Configure your drivers by using the version or method that lets you manually type in the IP address of the destination device. In RSLinx Classic, that means using the "Ethernet Devices" driver instead of the "EtherNet/IP" driver. In FactoryTalk Linx that means right-clicking and adding a device manually to the network schema.

AND:

Using port forwarding that exposes the controller to the Internet will buy you a few seconds before the first bots hit it, and are an unacceptable security risk for almost any installation.

So, for example to connect to the PLC, I would have to set the gateway of the EN2T to the I.P. address of their network gateway or router. Then in RSLinx Classic I would change to using Ethernet devices instead of EtherNet/IP Driver and set my I.P. address to connect to to the existing I.P. of the EN2T? Would I need to enter their static I.P. address that I am connecting through in RSLinx Classic?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have a machine with a 1756-L72 Controllogix PLC and 1756-EN2T network card, and PanelView Plus 7 HMI. I am using RSLogix V20.05.00 and FactoryTalk View ME 11.00.00. My question is what ports would need to be opened to remotely connect to the PLC and to remotely upload / download the HMI with the Transfer Utility. I've seen the list of ports from Rockwell, but I wasn't sure which would need to be open for this connection and how to set this up for the PLC and HMI.

Thanks!

When you say "remotely" do you mean via the Internet, or sitting in your office on the same network? I remote connect via Internet/VPN to many clients, and I've found the easiest is to just RDP into a local PC with the PLC/HMI software on it.

I mean via the Internet from another state. I don't believe they will let us use a remote desktop setup. I also noticed that we have been using RSLinx Classic Lite. Do we need the standard RSLinx Classic to be able to pull this off?

Thanks!

I mean via the Internet from another state. I don't believe they will let us use a remote desktop setup. I also noticed that we have been using RSLinx Classic Lite. Do we need the standard RSLinx Classic to be able to pull this off?

Thanks!

Since you are dealing with a PanelView Plus, RSLinx is irrelevant, they use RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Linx for communications. The point Ken was making is that when using a VPN, devices won't automatically be discovered like you are used to. So to upload/download, you have to manually create the communication path.

The key is using a VPN. You don't want your PanelView exposed to the internet. Search Shodan for "PanelView Plus" to see what I mean. We typically use e W O N's. The VPN would securely place you on the same network as the PanelView. Then you can upload/download to it just like you are there.

Thanks!

Use a secure remote access device from e w o n, sec o mea, i x o n, t o s i, etc. Work from your PC like you're onsite

Use a secure remote access device from e w o n, sec o mea, i x o n, t o s i, etc. Work from your PC like you're onsite

I've used them all and PLCRëmöté.nêt is by far the best option.

You mean PLC​Remote.net? Or ew​on, secomea, ix​on, tosi, etc? There's plenty of ways around it that don't mangle the appearance (one fewer with the new forum though).

As a side note apparently neither secomea nor tosi have been naughty enough to get time in the censored corner