Renaming a 1756-ENBT/A

steveb1475

Hey all,

Does anyone know how to change the name of a 1756-ENBT/A that is displayed in RSLinx? Tried changing the name in Logix 5000 and it still just shows up as 1756-ENBT/A in Linx. I have about 50+ of these on a network and I want to make it easier for maintenance guys to find the machine they are looking for.
Thanks,
Steve

I'm not aware of a way, think I even put a call in one time asking. But what I did find made it easier to find the particular device I was looking for was to make a unique "Ethernet Device" driver in RsLinx for each machine or group of devices. This way, I can name the RsLinx driver something that makes the device identifiable

This is the only way I am aware of and only with Ethernet Devices driver

enbt.jpg

Both great ideas, I never realized you could add more info than just the ip to the station. Seems weird that you can't change the name of the device though. I'm calling rockwell in the morning. Thanks guys.

My gosh, Contr_Conn, I had no idea you could do that !

I always used the HOSTS file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts ) to make a list of IP addresses and Host names, then put the Host names into the Ethernet Devices driver host list.

For other networks and devices, you can also make RSLinx shortcuts.

I learned something new about RSLinx today.

Wow, I didn't realize you could do that. I think I will do both from now on. Use mine for a sort of directory from plant to plant, one Ethernet Driver per plant, and yours to identify the particular machine
Contr_Conn said:
This is the only way I am aware of and only with Ethernet Devices driver

enbt.jpg

Steve I've been in the same boat. Ethernet I/P makes things nice but why can't we see the host name or something! I think we should all put in a new request to Rockwell today....

First try at adding a picture so hopefully it works.

RSLinxConfigShot.JPG

IP addresses hidden to protect the innocent...

I reconfigured my drivers using both suggestions, different driver for each area and machine description added to the host name in the drive config. I'm pretty happy with this.

I had the same problem with DeviceNet and ControlNet networks.
The only way I found was to use the RSNetworks software. I have used this software to change the name of DeviceNet and ControlNet nodes. Once done, RsLinx will display those names. Since your items are Ethernet, you would need RSNetworks for Ethernet.