direct205 V memoey hex output

Roy2

Hi everybody can anybody give me advice on the simplist way to work around this problem. I have a Direct 205 Plc connceted to a redlion G306 Screen. Apparently the 205 v-memory # are all stored in BCD/HEX format and when i try to bring them into the HMI and do calculations and formulas there is a problems because i am using decimal or real numbers.Can i convert them before i bring them into the HMI or do i convert them in the HMI? Any help would be appreciated.

It's been a long time since I worked with DirectPLC so take it with a grain of salt, but on a larger application that I had with a 405 and Wonderware, I converted everything in the PLC. I seem to recall there are BCD to Binary and Real instructions...Don't know if they are available in the 205. I do recall it was a pain, popping it onto the stack doing the conversion, getting it back off, etc.

I have done it both ways, Depends on what you are doing with the number.
Generally I set the tags in the screen to read the PLC format.
If you change it in the PLC make sure you document the number format so you know that the value is not BCD format. Also Remember if you write to the PLC in decimal any math functions will have to take that into account.

You can use the BCD to Binary or Binary to BCD transform options on the tag to convert them to read the correct value on the G3.

Regards,
Dan

thanks for the replies. So if i do a bcd to binary Transform then any formula # would have to be done in Binary.Or is it somehow simple to ransform to real #?..Any insight would be appreciated.

You would first create an integer tag mapped to the PLC with the transform. Once that value reads correctly, you can use that tag in your formula. Also, if using a Real, make sure to use the Word as Real data type when mapping it. With a Real, the only transfrm option is to Swap Words, so you MAY need to convert your reals from BCD to Binary in the PLC.

Regards,
Dan