installing me does not succed on my Siemens

baraa

My work have a siemens portable (since 2002) with a package of simatic s7 and s5 -operating system is windows millinium.
and because after all these years now the pg is only booting to the safe mode .I tried lately to reinstall Me using the accomponying recovery disk
every thing was ok till it reached the hardware detectioin then it stopped for hours doing nothing.

I tried to install win 98 , the same problem.

Any idea ? are there any hardware defect, or should i format the whole hardisk

Last edited:
It sounds like there is problem with the harddisk.
The hardware detection step is actually very disk intensive, so that could point to a problem with the harddisk.
Yes. You can try to reformat, but I am afraid that there is a genuine problem with the disk.

Jasper thank you for your kindness

Before I format the Hard disk ,I want to take a backup of the things located in the second partion , How can do this , do you know of any utilitiy which allows me to define the Usb Connection under dos or any bootable system , so that I can copy my things into Usb Flash

You may want to use an imaging program that can run off a CD. These typically support backing up to a USB disk.
There are several such programs. The most popular are Symantec Ghost, Acronis Trueimage, and some other I dont remember.

You can also try and remove the disk from the PG, and connect it to another PC as a secondary disk. Then you can possibly get access to the partitions on the disk, and copy what you need.

I would recommend getting a different hard drive and format it. then install the original as a second drive to get all the data that you can from it then try to format it. If it is as old as indicated you may not want to risk it working much longer even if you do get it going again.

baraa said:
Jasper thank you for your kindness

Before I format the Hard disk ,I want to take a backup of the things located in the second partion , How can do this , do you know of any utilitiy which allows me to define the Usb Connection under dos or any bootable system , so that I can copy my things into Usb Flash

Knoppix or OpenSuSE live CD's will do the trick for free.

Personally I would get the OpenSuSE version, which you can get here:

http://software.opensuse.org/

Direct download link:

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/iso/cd/openSUSE-10.3-GM-KDE-Live-i386.iso

Short instructions:

Blow up the .iso and burn it to a CD.
Put it in your CD drive and power your PC up.
Add your USB drive and use the file manager to copy files.
Pull out your USB drive when you are finished and turn off the computer.

If you have any problems, PM me.

Thank you all, you are really wonderfull people.
I have from the past three threads a lot of possibilllties, tomorow I am going to try the Suse Disk as I have aslready this disk.
I am going to inform you about what happens with me

Dear rootboy ,
I have a live SUSE 9.1 CD, after booting, the SUSE OS did not show me the USB Flash and the hard disk partions.
As far as Suse/Linux are concerned I think one have to MOUNT the drives,
Do you know how to do it?
thanks

baraa said:
Dear rootboy ,
I have a live SUSE 9.1 CD, after booting, the SUSE OS did not show me the USB Flash and the hard disk partions.
As far as Suse/Linux are concerned I think one have to MOUNT the drives,
Do you know how to do it?
thanks

Ack! Sorry about the late response!

No, don't use 9.1. 9.1 probably doesn't support hotplug properly, and that can make mounting devices a pain. The hard drive should mount up though...

OpenSuSE 10.3 is the latest & greatest. It will mount what you have automagically. If it doesn't, let me look at your /etc/fstab file to see what is going on.

Again, sorry for the late response.