RS232 Communications in ControlLogix

Hi Guys,

Part of a project requires me to communicate via RS232 with 2 special sensors using a ControlLogix L-61.

What are my options? i.e I have only one DF-1 port on CPU. Do I purchase a Micrologix to handle the other one and messgae it or can someone suggest a better approach.

I have never written any code for RS232 communications. Is this complicated? Can someone suggest a starting point for me?

Thanks

Nope. They do not communicate via Modbus. I have a feeling this is going to be a right headache.

Have you ever used a rockwell RS232 Port splitter

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong since I have never used one, but I think the port splitter only supports DF1 protocol. If your sensors are only ASCII output, I don't think it would work.

Is there a PC on the system that is used for an HMI? If so, maybe you can feed the sensors into RS232 ports on it and then have the HMI write the result to the ControlLogix.

MorphuisOGrady said:
Hi Guys,

Part of a project requires me to communicate via RS232 with 2 special sensors using a ControlLogix L-61.

What are my options? i.e I have only one DF-1 port on CPU. Do I purchase a Micrologix to handle the other one and messgae it or can someone suggest a better approach.

I have never written any code for RS232 communications. Is this complicated? Can someone suggest a starting point for me?

Thanks

Do these special sensors have a unique serial address?. A port splitter, or a RS232 to 422/485 coverter would work only if the devices have unique addressing. Which sensor is going to know it is being interrogating , assuming its a bi directional interface. On a SLC or a PLC5, this would have been an ideal application for the Basic Cards. I beleive Prosoft make a generic Basic card

Update on my earlier post - I used a B&B Electronics (http://www.bb-elec.com) splitter. It worked great. I used it to read/write ASCII data to multiple devices. They call them "Serial Port Combiners." Note the 12VDC power requirement.

Regards,

Justin

curlyandshemp said:
Do these special sensors have a unique serial address?. A port splitter, or a RS232 to 422/485 coverter would work only if the devices have unique addressing. Which sensor is going to know it is being interrogating , assuming its a bi directional interface.

Check out B&B Electronics Serial Data Switches (Cat.#232MSS2 for example). Whether this will work depends on the application requirements which we don't have all the details (do you need continuous read/writes to both devices simultaneously?)

Good Idea!

That is exactly how it works. The sensors use a program called AquaPro which communicates over RS232. Now any suggestions on how I could get the data from AquaPro and into my CLX

Archie said:
To my knowledge, and I may be wrong since I have never used one, but I think the port splitter only supports DF1 protocol. If your sensors are only ASCII output, I don't think it would work.

Is there a PC on the system that is used for an HMI? If so, maybe you can feed the sensors into RS232 ports on it and then have the HMI write the result to the ControlLogix.

Originally posted by MorphuisOGrady:

Now any suggestions on how I could get the data from AquaPro and into my CLX

OPC using KEPWare or RSLinx OEM over Ethernet? I don't know what you can get out of AquaPro and their website doesn't say much.

However, I would go with the ProSoft card or Alaric's suggestion or a stand-alone serial port on a bus. Alaric's suggestion would be especially attractive if you already have an Ethernet bridge or DeviceNet scanner and you go Beckhoff.

Keith