How to Hard Reset CLX

As you can see by my post count I normally sit in the shadows reading and learning from what everyone else writes. I see this post a lot and it always ends in contacting your local distributor. I don't blame them because there is a huge amount of liability involved. Basically, you are asking a programmer to break the password that protects their logic. It could very well have some proprietary issues.

boardmaker said:
As you can see by my post count I normally sit in the shadows reading and learning from what everyone else writes. I see this post a lot and it always ends in contacting your local distributor. I don't blame them because there is a huge amount of liability involved. Basically, you are asking a programmer to break the password that protects their logic. It could very well have some proprietary issues.

If he's wiping out the PLC file & the password, it's his business.
I've never seen a position other wise.
Now to workaround the password & retain the program, that's a different story.
OP seems to be asking for a complete wipeout.

I think the OP wants to put the controller back to factory defaults which I dont believe has anything to do with propietary issues. It would be the same as buying a new processor from Allen Bradley.

Usially I am working with DriveLogix processors. Access to the controller battery is very restricted (you have to power down and partially disassemble drive). I have created blank PLC program with only one DriveLogix processor. When there is a need to reset I just download this empty program.
I am not sure if this approach would work with password protected controller.

PaulB.

Clearing User Applications Is Simple

The 1756-L1, -L55, and -L6x/A controllers you just remove the battery and power down the controller. If there's a nonvolatile memory module or CompactFlash card, remove that too.

The 1756-L6x controllers save the program to NVRAM even without the battery... I think you would have to just download a new program over the old one. I haven't had to clear the program on an -L6x/B yet; I just download my new program.

In every case, simply downloading a default program into the controller is the foolproof mechanism. There's no way that I know about to prevent that.

I locked a L63 with the CPU tool, and merely forgot the password. I will try downloading a new program, but I am pretty sure the password is stored in NVRAM. Ill try and let you all know

In such a case of lost password, I usually download the firmware again to the L6x, which clears everything to factory default.

ghettofreeryder said:
I locked a L63 with the CPU tool, and merely forgot the password.

A good reason to not lock it. I don't see much of a reason to use a password unless you are an OEM, and even then its debatable on a case by case basis.