SLC500 Comm problems with a USB to Serial converter.

Bendigo78

I'm loading Logix500 on an new IBM Thinkpad Lenovo running XP and need to test comms to a SLC500 before sending it out. They sent a USB to serial converter that windows looks at and says it's malfunctioning. I've tried my other converters that I've used for years and they appear to work fine with windows but the autodetect in linx never finds the processor. I've tried forcing it to different com ports with the same problem.

I've tried the same processor/cable on my dell and it works fine. It's got to be some software on the pc.

Any Ideas?

I have had a variety of trouble in regard to the interface to a SLC and have done it about 6 ways, most of which were undependable and unpredictable. The most consistent way that I have found is with the UIC which Rockwell made available for this specific purpose. It has both a DH485 port and a RS232 serial port and it does not require the use of the PIC driver in Linx, which is a cause for real celebration!

Having said that, my suggestion is to examine Device Manager for clues as to what the OS is seeing or not seeing. I think that it is the "Plug and Pray" service that must ultimately figure out what to do when the device is detected. Look for a match between the device manager config and the Linx Config.

I would try all possible combinations of USB ports and reboot often. Also, once I get a situation where everythihg works, I use the same USB port thereafter. It seems to increase the chances or future success. (This may be just wishful thinking.)

I have spent an hour trying to get the connection established, but more recently with the UIC, it usually works right off the first time.

Also, I should tell you that I have tried some USB to serial adapters that just refused to work.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

The PC wasn't on the net so it couldn't search for new drivers. I had three different converters. The first one came up as malfunctioning, the second (my personal one that gets used all the time) came up but linx never found the slc, and a docking station that locked the computer up tight.

Basically had to compare my computers drivers to the customers and copy the newer ones over to Windows\system32\drivers\. This got my convter to work. I found a different driver online for the customers converter and it luckily worked. It didn't have the same part number.